Does MD help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mt.everest

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does MD in Pathology from an alien country help to get residency in the same subject? What about in other subjects, like Internal Medicine?
yaah, great pumpkin, or anyone.....

Members don't see this ad.

Does MD in Pathology from an alien country help to get residency in the same subject? What about in other subjects, like Internal Medicine?
yaah, great pumpkin, or anyone.....

aliens.jpg
??

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really understand foreign medical education systems, but I would wager you would do better if you had experience in the same area you were applying for.

All other things being equal, previous experience in a field is helpful. However, it's obviously not the only thing that's looked at. That being said, my experience is that the few FMG's that match into the highly competitive fields (plastics, derm etc) almost invariably have previous experience - often including board certification - from their home country.
Do note, however, that "pathology" in the US is a bit different from a lot of other countries, as it usually covers both surgical pathology and clinical pathology.