$$$Does Money Matter$$$ (and how much?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

When choosing a school, money issues are...

• My primary consideration

Votes: 19 22.9%
  • A decision-maker if there's a deadlock

Votes: 24 28.9%
  • About as important as any other major factor (e.g. match stats, prestige, location)

Votes: 28 33.7%
  • Not a significant factor in my decision

Votes: 12 14.5%

• Total voters

3 little birds

Breathe.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How big a factor is money ( tuition/living expenses/financial aid packages ) in making your med school decisions?

Members don't see this ad.

How big a factor is money ( tuition/living expenses/financial aid packages ) in making your med school decisions?
Money is not as important as location and school. I will spend the next 4 years or more at X location. I want to be happy and be with a good group of people. I don't want a huge class or rural I want clinical. I already did my research and I don't want to do that anymore. =

Members don't see this ad :)
Money is not really one of the major things I consider...but it still is important. :)

Unless you have rich relatives paying for school, money should be one of the most important factors you consider. Pretty much any allo school in the country is rigorous and competitive for good residencies (as long as you do well). If you choose a super expensive private over your state school, you are probably just choosing to double your debt for a fancier piece of paper.

I think you have to view it as an investment in yourself. Ask yourself, are you worth it?

Unless you have rich relatives paying for school, money should be one of the most important factors you consider. Pretty much any allo school in the country is rigorous and competitive for good residencies (as long as you do well). If you choose a super expensive private over your state school, you are probably just choosing to double your debt for a fancier piece of paper.
Great way to put it. :)

A wise man under a bridge once told me "A man aint no man, he aint drive no Cadillac".

Some lovers try positions that they can't handle.