Does more interesting/innovative research help one match into Ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted674723

I'm interested in whether a "cooler" more innovative research project will really give me a leg up in residency apps. Do committees care about what the topic of your research is or just that it was published and is in orthopedics? I had the option to work on a more case review style diagnostic efficiency study or a cadaveric study trying out a new procedure. I ended up choosing the diagnostic comparison study as the doc offered to let me watch tons of surgeries and clinic time as well. Do you think it was a missed opportunity to not participate in the flashier study? Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interested in whether a "cooler" more innovative research project will really give me a leg up in residency apps. Do committees care about what the topic of your research is or just that it was published and is in orthopedics? I had the option to work on a more case review style diagnostic efficiency study or a cadaveric study trying out a new procedure. I ended up choosing the diagnostic comparison study as the doc offered to let me watch tons of surgeries and clinic time as well. Do you think it was a missed opportunity to not participate in the flashier study? Thanks all!

I don't think so. Any research, as long as you can talk coherently and enthusiastically about it, is great. The downside of doing something new or esoteric is that interviewers may not know or have an opinion on it. I think the only time it could help you is if you're interviewing at a very competitive research-heavy program. But most places don't care.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, how I wish that more innovative research would help people match into orthopaedic surgery residency positions. I'm feeling like I reluctantly agree with OrthoTraumaMD that it probably doesn't matter. I remain blissfully hopeful, regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk