Does music count as humanities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlanAlanine

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am wondering, for Letters of Rec, would a letter of rec from a music professor count for the humanities requirement?

I took a jazz theory and improvisation course, and am wondering if a letter from that professor would be sufficient for the humanities letter.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

yes

humanities = music, art, literature, history, languages, etc.

Last edited:
Not at my university. Music, ART, theatre, etc = FINE ARTS. Humanities were classes like women studies, greek mythology, etc. Hisory, literature, adn languages are NOT humanities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not at my university. Music, ART, theatre, etc = FINE ARTS. Humanities were classes like women studies, greek mythology, etc. Hisory, literature, adn languages are NOT humanities.

I beg to differ. While performing arts and studio arts may be classified as "fine arts", they can also be classified as humanities along with art history and criticism, music appreciation, theater, film, literature, linguistics, foreign languages, philosophy, comparative religions, classics, and history.

Absolutely!!!!

yes. I was a music major and when I applied I got a LOR from the dean of my university's School of Music.