Does my units matter??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaching19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Because of my poor gpa and results last quarter, I want to focus on the classes I need most which are my chem lab (first one in fact known to be tough too), chem 3, and writing 2. All total 10 units. And I work too. Also, on board for two clubs!!!

I'm doing this because it is best for me (aiming for straight A's this quarter) however, I do not want MD and DO schools to think the other way around such as I am not able to handle a load of class/information etc...

What do you all think? :shrug: Does the amount of units I take per quarter matter/affect my app/chances?

Members don't see this ad.

The difficulty of your coursework will have some impact, but the effect of your GPA will be much much more.

Reactions: 1 users
The difficulty of your coursework will have some impact, but the effect of your GPA will be much much more.
So would you say I should just go ahead and take 10 units? I am promising *crossing my fingers* myself just this quarter I will take 10 units, in the future 12 is the minimum!
Last quarter I took 18 units, on top of work flow, and on being board. Went at it too quick! Should have paced myself. I'm a first year btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
So would you say I should just go ahead and take 10 units? I am promising *crossing my fingers* myself just this quarter I will take 10 units, in the future 12 is the minimum!
Last quarter I took 18 units, on top of work flow, and on being board. Went at it too quick! Should have paced myself. I'm a first year btw.

I don't know exactly what you should do, but in terms of general advice, I would not jeopardize your GPA just to take a harder courseload, within reason. If there are extracurricular activities you could cut to give yourself more time, I would do that first. It's easier, cheaper, and faster to make up ECs later than it is to repair a GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know exactly what you should do, but in terms of general advice, I would not jeopardize your GPA just to take a harder courseload, within reason. If there are extracurricular activities you could cut to give yourself more time, I would do that first. It's easier, cheaper, and faster to make up ECs later than it is to repair a GPA.
Omg, thank you!!!! That really helped me see my choice in a different way! Right now my priority is my GPA. And yes I definitely do not want to jeopardize it! So I should do what keeps me away from it instead of thinking of things I can always make up later. Thanks a millionn!!! :)

18 is a lot. Take the average 15 and call it a day with a couple of those credits being an easy elective or something. Gotta pace yourself out.

Reactions: 1 user
18 is a lot. Take the average 15 and call it a day with a couple of those credits being an easy elective or something. Gotta pace yourself out.
I agree It was sooo not a good quarter....learned from my mistake. Thanks!

I agree It was sooo not a good quarter....learned from my mistake. Thanks!

Also, on occasion, I used to take a light spring semester (~12 credits) and follow up with a class in the summer to add up to 15 credits. Not all schools like classes in the summer so be careful.