Does ONE Withdrawal LOOK that BAD???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluejellybelly

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys, I had some trouble this semester and took almost all science classes. I had to withdraw from one class, so I decided to drop an elective. HOW does ONE withdrawal look on a transcript? I know its bad, but how bad is it?

Members don't see this ad.

bluejellybelly said:
You guys, I had some trouble this semester and took almost all science classes. I had to withdraw from one class, so I decided to drop an elective. HOW does ONE withdrawal look on a transcript? I know its bad, but how bad is it?

I do not think its bad at all. What looks bad is a pattern of Withdrawls. Adcoms know that things come up and stuff happens so 1 W is not gonna kill you. Just don't make it a habit :)

I hear some schools administer WF and WP notations instead of just plain W's. If this is the case a WF not only will look bad, it will be bad (in terms of AMCAS GPA). But in general, I think plain ole W's shouldn't be a big concern.

Members don't see this ad :)
bluejellybelly said:

It doesn't look bad at all. I have a W on my transcript as well (and I didn't even have a good reason for it - I just despised the class) and it's never been mentioned at any of my interviews, and I don't think it's hurt me at all... ;) Don't worry at all about it. As long as you don't have several W's, it won't even be a factor.

thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it!

I never knew WP or WF existed. Some schools must love to scrutinize!

bluejellybelly said:

it's not that bad. i had a couple and made it. do a search on this as it's been discussed before.

bluejellybelly said:

Take a chill pill dude (or dudette) it is a NON-issue

You'll be fine. Have a beer or two.

no way it looks bad... just have an explaination. If you really needed to get out of a course, then you did what you thought was best. That is great decision making. Bring it up in interviews if you it is really eating at you.

Hmmm. I think I have 4 W's. 3 of which turned into F's, I think.

bluejellybelly said:

I have two for the same class (freshman year). Didn't stop me from getting accepted. It looks a hell of a lot better than an F.

yposhelley said:
It looks a hell of a lot better than an F.

I'd have to agree with that. :laugh:

i withdrew from a prereq (physics II) and it was never mentioned.

it's not a problem.