Does pharmacy work experience help you when you apply pharmacy school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ChippyChad

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone, I am a pre-pharm student that in a 4 yr college. I been working as clerk at Wal-Mart Pharmacy for almost a year. I just wondering does this helps my pharmacy school applications? or do I have to become a tech?

Due to amount of work and school, I haven't been able to do any volunteer work for this couple years. However, I did volunteered in my local hospital for 2 years when I was in high school. Does it count?

Thank you so much for yall time!!
 
Hello everyone, I am a pre-pharm student that in a 4 yr college. I been working as clerk at Wal-Mart Pharmacy for almost a year. I just wondering does this helps my pharmacy school applications? or do I have to become a tech?

Due to amount of work and school, I haven't been able to do any volunteer work for this couple years. However, I did volunteered in my local hospital for 2 years when I was in high school. Does it count?

Thank you so much for yall time!!

I got good feedback during my interviews from staff when i talked about my pharmacy experience. Its reassuring to them that you do know what its like to be a pharmacist and your there for the right reasons. If you can get experience, I say go for it. There are plenty of accepted students with zero pharmacy experience. I just say its more beneficial to you if you have it. Good luck!
 
It puts you up there in terms of being more competitive. Not a deal breaker if you don't have the experience but will make acceptance a bit easier, along with the PCAT, GPA, and interview of course.
 
Answer: yes. How do you know you want to be a pharmacist if you don't know what pharmacists do?
Try to get some volunteer experience. An hour or two a week for a year plus is probably "average" for applicants.