Does Ross have approval to be in Tennessee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted888443

Ive been noticing that the school has been touting that they are going to be in Knoxville for the January semester. Do any current students know if they have the accredidation to do so? If they dont, how does this effect ross students when they look to get residency/get licensed in a certain state?

Members don't see this ad.

This:

"RUSM and Adtalem Global Education to acquire all necessary regulatory approvals and finalize other details."

Knoxville

This is the most current information on Ross' website (updated 11/7/2017).

Also, there is no other information posted on their accreditations page:

Accreditation and Approvals

I do not know the answer to your other question(s).

-Skip

they have temporary approval for 1 term. the island of dominica is no where close to be habitable by a large number of people again. There are going to be serious issues with the federal funding and accredidation of students going to ross. i would not risk your future when you have much safer/solid alternatives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Approval from whom?

I am surprised that the LCME hasn't filed an injunction of some sort.
The lcme doesn’t need an injunction, they just need to not issue their own approval on american soil......otherwise the floodgates are open.

It seems like ross is using the tragedy to set up a game of chicken with the accreditation bodies

Reactions: 1 user
Getting accredited will be the easy part, keeping federal funding will be where Ross will lose the "game of chicken"

I'm not sure the DOE would care, but how does the Dominica Medical Counsel continue to accredit Ross if classes aren't in Dominica? Will DMC even be recognized by ECFMG?. My niece was accepted to Ross and I loved it there, but I don't see how students will get ECFMG certification. Too big of a risk without knowing when they'll go back to Dominica.

I'm not sure the DOE would care, but how does the Dominica Medical Counsel continue to accredit Ross if classes aren't in Dominica? Will DMC even be recognized by ECFMG?. My niece was accepted to Ross and I loved it there, but I don't see how students will get ECFMG certification. Too big of a risk without knowing when they'll go back to Dominica.

It IS too big of a risk. Tell her to go to any other accredidted medical school.

After speaking to some admissions reps they werent too sure when theyll be back in Dominica. They plan to be back in Dominca in May but if not they'll stay in Knoxville for the summer too...

After speaking to some admissions reps they werent too sure when theyll be back in Dominica. They plan to be back in Dominca in May but if not they'll stay in Knoxville for the summer too...

In October they were telling people they would be back in January. Now they are saying May. I can assure you that very little work is being done to campus in Dominica and more importantly to the surrounding areas. They aren't going back any time soon. Also, the chairman of the board of trustee for LMU said they would be there for ~a year.

"Autry O. V. DeBusk, chairman of the LMU Board of Trustees, said that the Ross students would be on campus for approximately a year and that getting them a temporary space was the right thing to do in the wake of a disaster." For-profit medical schools are now operating in U.S.

I am confused about the situation. If it's OK for Ross to be teaching classes in TN, why ever go back? They might as well just keep holding classes in TN.

Reactions: 3 users
I am confused about the situation. If it's OK for Ross to be teaching classes in TN, why ever go back? They might as well just keep holding classes in TN.

This is an excellent question. But, if the school loses its current accreditation through the Dominica Medical Board and/or CAAM-HP/CARICOM, it's finished. There is just not enough time to re-establish itself elsewhere and, essentially, start over from scratch.

It remains unclear whether or not this current situation will prove to "acceptable" to regulatory bodies. I would imagine that RUSM is somehow trying to seek approval to have an "emergency" or otherwise temporary extension of their accreditation off of the island. The stakes are also high for Dominica as a country, though, as the school represents a large portion of cash-flow of money into the local economy. Likewise, Ross will likely not get any significant new enrollment into the school if they can't come to some sort of arrangement with the government there.

It might be a little bit of a Mexican standoff right now, with hopefully both parties agreeing that it mutually serves their best interests to accommodate each other for the time being while plans are finalized to relocate back to Dominica and the Portsmouth campus. Whether downstream this ultimately proves "legal" with licensing boards in the U.S. remains to be seen.

-Skip

This is an excellent question. But, if the school loses its current accreditation through the Dominica Medical Board and/or CAAM-HP/CARICOM, it's finished. There is just not enough time to re-establish itself elsewhere and, essentially, start over from scratch.

-Skip

Thereby dumping their entire population of students on the other 3 of the top 4, just as I'm applying.

My luck seems to be holding to status quo ante....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thereby dumping their entire population of students on the other 3 of the top 4, just as I'm applying.

My luck seems to be holding to status quo ante....

Well, whatever happens, I do not believe "never going back" (at least to the Caribbean) is currently a realistic option. Similar to what happened to AUC in Montserrat when the volcano blew-up in 1995, the school was re-established on St. Maarten - not back in the U.S.

AUC - AUC Dean's Blog

Ross may ultimately be forced to change islands. Who knows?

-Skip

Reactions: 1 users
Thereby dumping their entire population of students on the other 3 of the top 4

unlikely, none of the other "big 3" take transfers*

*with some exceptions, but overall it is very unlikely

It remains unclear whether or not this current situation will prove to "acceptable" to regulatory bodies. I would imagine that RUSM is somehow trying to seek approval to have an "emergency" or otherwise temporary extension of their accreditation off of the island.

There is some precedence here with SGU following the devastation of Ivan in 2004. SGU was granted an exception by the US DOE and held classes in the state of NY for a few months following the hurricane.

There are significant differences with Ross though. 1. SGU resumed classes for many of their programs within weeks of the hurricane. 2. SGU stayed in Grenada and did outreach/rebuilding 3. SGU has significant financial and political ties to the state of NY.

Ross hasn't been back to Dominica and obviously isn't planning to any time soon, isn't doing anything to improve the campus or surrounding areas in Portsmouth/Picard, and to my knowledge does not have significant financial ties to the state of Tennessee (yet?).

I'm a Ross student and yes, we are allowed to be in Knoxville. That's it.

Thanks for the reminder that this happened to SGU in 1994.

I'm not trying to make waves, just trying to see how this plays out. Ross has partnered with a US school to provide classes. Let's say Ross remains headquartered in Dominica, and agrees to pay Dominica a large fee to be there. Can the Dominica Medical Board continue to approve it even though no educational activity occurs on island? Can they partner with a school in the US and just have classes there, and then clinicals in the US also? Does the US have any oversight of this, and if so, whom? I'm guessing that someone has the ability to stop this from being a permanent arrangement, else someone already would have set up a school like this.

Thanks for the reminder that this happened to SGU in 1994.

I'm not trying to make waves, just trying to see how this plays out. Ross has partnered with a US school to provide classes. Let's say Ross remains headquartered in Dominica, and agrees to pay Dominica a large fee to be there. Can the Dominica Medical Board continue to approve it even though no educational activity occurs on island? Can they partner with a school in the US and just have classes there, and then clinicals in the US also? Does the US have any oversight of this, and if so, whom? I'm guessing that someone has the ability to stop this from being a permanent arrangement, else someone already would have set up a school like this.

Ivan hit in 2004.

You can literally buy citizenship in Dominca for less than 200K, Ross could easily "buy" accreditation. It wouldn't be worth the paper it is printed on though. The only accredidation that matters in the Carribbean is CAAMHP (one could argue ACCM too).

Ross Med as it is legally set up now cannot stay in the US. The DOE regulates this. They got a temporary waiver for the cruise ship nonsense and now are trying (read: it is still not a done deal) to have that waiver extended while they stay in Tenn.

If they try to stay in the states they will have to completely change their business model. The way that they make their money is by taking in thousands of students with federal loans and then getting rid of 60-70% of those students. There are rules and regulations about who can get federal money and how. Their business model would never be allowed on US soil.

Ross would absolutely not qualify for federal funding if they had to apply for it today. They were grandfathered in when everything changed in the 90s. If they stay in the states they will literally have to change everything about the school. It wouldn't be Ross anymore except in name (if it were kept).

Approval from whom?

I am surprised that the LCME hasn't filed an injunction of some sort.

So lets see. We have thousands of Ross grads practicing medicine in the US and doing a great job. So what's your problem???

So lets see. We have thousands of Ross grads practicing medicine in the US and doing a great job. So what's your problem???
The thousands of matriculants that never graduated or got to residency

Reactions: 2 users
You can literally buy citizenship in Dominca for less than 200K, Ross could easily "buy" accreditation. It wouldn't be worth the paper it is printed on though. The only accredidation that matters in the Carribbean is CAAMHP (one could argue ACCM too).

Ross Med as it is legally set up now cannot stay in the US. The DOE regulates this. They got a temporary waiver for the cruise ship nonsense and now are trying (read: it is still not a done deal) to have that waiver extended while they stay in Tenn.

But if the school maintains DMB approval, and hence is ECFMG accreditaed, then who cares about CAAMHP? No one at Ross is planning on working in the Carib.

I was guessing that the DoE had some say in all of this, else someone else would have already set up an "offshore" school but based it completely in the US. Just can't find anything regarding regulations, or any decision by the DoE on this.

Wait, what? I routinely consider Ross grads for positions. I have problems, but this isn't one of them. I expect the LCME will have a problem with Ross having their basic science years on the US mainland.

But if the school maintains DMB approval, and hence is ECFMG accreditaed, then who cares about CAAMHP? No one at Ross is planning on working in the Carib.

I was guessing that the DoE had some say in all of this, else someone else would have already set up an "offshore" school but based it completely in the US. Just can't find anything regarding regulations, or any decision by the DoE on this.

There is no such thing as ECFMG accreditation.

Keeping accreditation by the Dominica Medical Board is honestly worthless. It literally means nothing. They must keep CAAMHP accreditation to keep federal funding and with 2023 rapidly approaching they can't afford to lose it.

There are definitely people at Ross who are planning to return the Caribbean. Maybe not a ton of students, but they definitely exist.

All of the rules and regulations are easily found on the DOE website. There arent regulations for "offshore" schools because the DOE only regulates US schools. If a school is located in the US it must be approved/accredited by US regulating bodies.

I am going to ignore the otherwise preposterous, bombastic, unsupported/unsourced, and hyperbolic claims and assertions and provide (hopefully) a little clearer and more grounded take on your questions, aProgDirector....

True, there is not an ECFMG "accreditation" per se, but the plan to implement certification rules by 2023 creates a de facto accreditation. In other words, the Dominica Medical Board has to meet the requirements of "substantially equivalent" to the medical education provided in the U.S. (which it already does) in order to enter residency and ultimately get a permanent license to practice medicine in the U.S. The CAAM-HP is a uniform non-governing body in the Caribbean supported under the aegis of CARICOM, which is like the Caribbean equivalent of the EU. However, and like the U.N., it doesn't really have the "teeth" of enforcement. Sure, they can make recommendations (and they have found some level of deficiency at all the schools they've inspected), but they will not yank accreditation from one of the big powerhouse schools. Worst case is that they "pull" accreditation from a school, but the invidividual country's medical board can still approve it and provided they still meet the standards of the NCFMEA, it won't matter. But, that's just not gonna happen. Furthermore, CAAM-HP esentially follows the lead of the NCFMEA.

Sources:

ECFMG | Initiatives Accreditation Requirement

Caribbean Community (CARICOM) —Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Secretariat

http://www.caam-hp.org/documents/latest/New Policy for Review of Clinical Sites.docx

The DoE does have a say in this, through the NCFMEA, regarding securing student loans through the Ford program, which is critical for any reputable and viable school's operations.

There is also oversight regarding the U.S. DoE's requirements to determine whether or not the school has an education program "comparable to standards applied to medical schools in the United States" in order for U.S. citizens can receive loans to attend those schools. These guidelines apply to all foreign medical schools, not just the Caribbean.

Sources:

National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA) | U.S. Department of Education

https://sites.ed.gov/ncfmea/files/2017/05/NCFMEA-Guidelines-Revised-5.15.17.pdf

Wait, what? I routinely consider Ross grads for positions. I have problems, but this isn't one of them. I expect the LCME will have a problem with Ross having their basic science years on the US mainland.

As has been stated, there has been precedent at both AUC and St. George's where temporary classroom coursework outside of the home country has been allowed and hasn't posed regulatory problems for graduates. This has actually happened twice at AUC. Likewise (and as everyone knows), students have been doing clinical rotations (3rd and 4th year) at U.S. hospitals for literally decades without issue.

The LCME rules will not apply unless they are invited to consider Ross (or anyone else) for accreditation. We saw what happened in the U.S. Virgin Islands with a proposed new medical school there when the LCME was invited to accredit that school. It did not pan out the way that University had intended. However, the DoE might intervene and determine the school is no longer eligible for loans, through their accreditation/certification, and that would be the school's death knell.

Still awaiting actual, verifiable resolution to this issue. Anyone else who claims to have this information - and can't (or won't) source it for the rest of us to verify - should at this point be considered nothing more than engaging in hearsay.

-Skip

Last edited:
but they will not yank accreditation from one of the big powerhouse schools.

They have pulled accredidation from schools in the past.

The DoE does have a say in this, through the NCFMEA, regarding securing student loans through the Ford program, which is critical for any reputable and viable school's operations.

There is also oversight regarding the U.S. DoE's requirements to determine whether or not the school has an education program "comparable to standards applied to medical schools in the United States" in order for U.S. citizens can receive loans to attend those schools. These guidelines apply to all foreign medical schools, not just the Caribbean.

These statements are misleading. The NCFMEA regulates COUNTRIES not SCHOOLS. The NCFMEA does not determine who gets federal funds.

Federal funds are critical for Ross, but not all schools (eg SGU). There are multiple investigations by state AG offices and federal offices into the predatory and fraudulent practices of Devry/Ross and their misuse of federal funds. Not to mention all the lawsuits...

Yes there is a precedence for schools to temporarily relocate. AUC twice and SGU twice. AUC relocated some students to the US in 1989 and SGU relocated some students to US in 1983 and 2004. The 80's dont count because the standards we have now didn't even exist then and in 2004, SGU students only spent a few months.

The people who run Ross may be crooks but they aren't stupid. They will know before they are about to have their funding pulled and they will either scurry back down to Dominica or, like I've said all along, they will stick around in the states and Ross will be no more.

These statements are misleading. The NCFMEA regulates COUNTRIES not SCHOOLS. The NCFMEA does not determine who gets federal funds.

"The Committee is authorized to evaluate the standards of accreditation applied to foreign medical schools, and to determine the comparability of those standards to standards applied to medical schools in the United States."

"This report contained several recommendations regarding the participation of foreign medical schools in the Department’s student loan program, and was vital to the 2010 negotiated rulemaking session on foreign medical school regulations that became effective in 2011."

Source: National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation (NCFMEA) | U.S. Department of Education.

The standards are set by the country's medical board. If the school doesn't pass muster by their accreditation standards, then -yes- the school won't locally get approved by that medical accreditation agency. In reality, this does not happen. Each school has independent authorization whether or not they will receive FFEL loans. For example, in Dominica Ross is eligible whereas All Saints University is not. The determination on who gets loans is based upon the NCFMEA recommendations. They are the expert committee upon which the decisions are made.

So, please just stop. You are doing nothing more than splitting hairs and confusing people.

-Skip

Last edited:
The standards are set by the country's medical board. If the school doesn't pass muster by their accreditation standards, then -yes- the school won't locally get approved by that medical accreditation agency. In reality, this does not happen.

It is becoming glaringly obvious that you have no real understanding of how any of this works. There are many schools in the Carribean that don't meet the standards of their specific countries' medical board. In reality, this is becoming more prevalent as more countries adopt CAAMHP as their standards. Look at what just happened in St. Lucia.

The determination on who gets loans is based upon the NCFMEA recommendations. They are the expert committee upon which the decisions are made.​

WRONG again, skippy. A school must be located in a country that has been evaluated and approved by the NCFMEA, but that is just 1 part of a much larger and more complex process of becoming Title IV eligible. The NCFMEA does NOT have anything to do with specific schools.

So, please just stop. You are doing nothing more than splitting hairs and confusing people.

I am sorry that you cannot understand the nuances of foreign medical education. Maybe try reading and working on comprehending rather than just copy/paste and bold underlining the bits you think are relevant.

You should stick to talking about your experiences as a middle aged manstudent who attended Ross 15 years ago and leave the conversations about policy and procedure to the big boys.

H
I'm a Ross student and yes, we are allowed to be in Knoxville. That's it.
i can you please share your views how it’s like being a Ross student who are the studies

H

i can you please share your views how it’s like being a Ross student who are the studies

Can you please re-rewrite your question so I can understand what you are asking?

Reactions: 1 users