Does s100 stain neural crest origin only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrigallen

16th centry dutch painter
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit confused...I can't find information about this in Robbins or other textbooks.

Does s100 stain specifically only for cells of neural crest origin?
Or is it neural crest origin + neuroectodermal origin?

If true, does that mean that dendritic cells are of neural crest origin?

(I know that s100 stains for some neuroendocrine, neural, cartilage, histiocytes, etc.)

Thanks for your reply! =)

Members don't see this ad.

How did you come to this question at midnight on a Friday ;)?

Hematology test on Monday.. =/

Members don't see this ad :)
carrigallen said:
A bit confused...I can't find information about this in Robbins or other textbooks.

Does s100 stain specifically only for cells of neural crest origin?
Or is it neural crest origin + neuroectodermal origin?

If true, does that mean that dendritic cells are of neural crest origin?

(I know that s100 stains for some neuroendocrine, neural, cartilage, histiocytes, etc.)

Thanks for your reply! =)

They call it S100 cuz it stains 100 different things.

tsj said:
They call it S100 cuz it stains 100 different things.

Yup.

S100

Acidic protein, 100% Soluble in ammonium sulfate at neutral pH (derivation of name) no known function but binds calcium

Structurally similar to calmodulin
Interpretation: protein present in cytoplasm and nucleus; staining of both usually required to call positive

Positive staining (normal): Neural crest (Schwann cells, melanocytes, glial cells), chondrocytes, adipocytes, myoepithelial cells, macrophages, Langerhans cells, dendritic cells; some breast epithelial cells

Positive staining (tumors): 95% of melanomas (including desmoplastic and spindle cell tumors), 50% of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors, clear cell sarcomas, occasional breast and undifferentiated carcinomas

Negative staining: fibroblasts, perineural cells, cardiac sarcomas.

from http://pathologyoutlines.com

yaah said:
Yup.

S100

Acidic protein, 100% Soluble in ammonium sulfate at neutral pH (derivation of name) no known function but binds calcium

Structurally similar to calmodulin
Interpretation: protein present in cytoplasm and nucleus; staining of both usually required to call positive

Positive staining (normal): Neural crest (Schwann cells, melanocytes, glial cells), chondrocytes, adipocytes, myoepithelial cells, macrophages, Langerhans cells, dendritic cells; some breast epithelial cells

Positive staining (tumors): 95% of melanomas (including desmoplastic and spindle cell tumors), 50% of malignant peripheral nerve sheath tumors, clear cell sarcomas, occasional breast and undifferentiated carcinomas

Negative staining: fibroblasts, perineural cells, cardiac sarcomas.

from http://pathologyoutlines.com

Tip of the day: S100 positivity for lipogenic differentiation.
Liposarcs as well benign lipogenic neoplasms are often S100 positive, which is a good marker when faced with a differential diagnosis of biphasic tumors with lipogenic and myofibroblastic/fibroblastic components.
Common problems I have are myolipomas [S100+] vs. myofibroblastic tumors [almost always S100-] or better yet myxoid variants of liposarcoma [S100+] vs. myxoid fibroblastic tumors with fatty appearing areas (very common) [S100-]

In practical everyday use, considered the most sensitive marker avail. for melanoma and often used in anaplastic lesions of lymph nodes, where by and large there should be no S100 positivity.

In pleomorphic soft tissue lesions, S100 is a tricky stain to use because you have MPSNT, Tritons, Liposarcs, Melanoma and some Endocrine neoplasms to worry about.

Another tip: Dendritic tumors of LNs, the only way to differentiate Interdigitating Dendritic Cell Sarcomas from Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcs is IHC, IDC Sarcoma is nearly always S100+ but CD21-. vice versa for FDCs

The biggest problem of S100 is interpretation. I often see pathologists calling it postive based on nonspecific membranous staining. It is NOT a membrane stain, its nuclear with some faint cytoplasmic granularity.