Does saying you would do just a PhD look bad in an interview? (Neurotic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Latteandaprayer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was asked that at my last interview (would I do just a PhD or just an MD), in the moment, after acknowledging that an MD could do research, I said PhD because I’m leaning toward a career in research, but the interviewer started “lecturing” me about ways to do research as an MD.

I felt like I made the wrong choice, but lesson learned for the next interview I guess.

Members don't see this ad.

I applaud your honesty, but if your goal is to get into medical school probably MD is the answer they are looking for. As someone who interviewed for MSTP programs (late in the season) and was offered MD-only acceptances that I declined to do a PhD I feel like I have some insight into this. Things worked out fine (after a PhD and short postdoc I reapplied and was offered a spot at my dream med school), but sometimes I look back and wonder what my younger self was thinking. Part of it probably was that those MD programs were at places I considered "mid-tier" vs. the PhD was somewhere that seemed to me more prestigious, but honestly I could have gotten into my chosen field in medicine no problem coming from those medical schools even without a PhD. Also I definitely could have done research with just the MD (though I like to think I am a better researcher for the additional training, but could have gotten there through other routes too).

There is no wrong choice really - just what you honestly want out of your training/ career. Stay open minded with how you can reach your goals. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 user
I applaud your honesty, but if your goal is to get into medical school probably MD is the answer they are looking for.

I realized that right as the words left my mouth lol, but I couldn’t backtrack without sounding like I’m pandering. Sigh, hopefully it didn’t ruin my chances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Might depend on the school/interviewer but in general I think it's better to say PhD.

Might depend on the school/interviewer but in general I think it's better to say PhD.
But there are many other ways to become a physician-scientist without the PhD; none without the MD.

Reactions: 4 users
But there are many other ways to become a physician-scientist without the PhD; none without the MD.

True, and I think you could very well defend that position. I'm just reporting what I've heard over the last few years.

On the other hand, the type of research that MD/PhDs tend to pursue is more in line with the type of research that PhDs pursue. MDs can pursue basic science research as well, but it's not as common. MD/PhDs can and do pursue clinical research, but it's stereotypical goal of MD/PhD training.

Aren’t most mdphd programs afraid that students might end either dropping out of the phd portion or abandoning research after they graduate? If commitment to research is a big enough concern, then I can see PhD as being the better answer

Aren’t most mdphd programs afraid that students might end either dropping out of the phd portion or abandoning research after they graduate? If commitment to research is a big enough concern, then I can see PhD as being the better answer

There is one answer only: I would apply again.
If you feel like PhD will suit your goals, don’t go for an 8 year program that will put
you through medical school. You can be an assistant professor by the time your MD/PhD colleagues hit residency (4 years of lead is a long time).

FWIW I got this question a number of times at multiple programs. Answered MD each time (was never given the option to say re-apply, it was always phrased “if you couldn’t do both degrees, which would you choose?”) Some people grilled me on my answer, some didn't, but at the end of the day I believe I was accepted to every program where I got that question. Point being that I don’t think there’s necessarily a wrong or right answer, it’s more about the quality and thought you put into your response. As long as you can tie it back to wanting to combine medicine and research, it should be clear that you want the MD/PhD.

There is one answer only: I would apply again.
If you feel like PhD will suit your goals, don’t go for an 8 year program that will put
you through medical school. You can be an assistant professor by the time your MD/PhD colleagues hit residency (4 years of lead is a long time).

"There is one answer only: I would apply again.
If you feel like MD will suit your goals, don’t go for an 8 year program that will put you through grad school. You can be an assistant professor in a department of medicine by the time your MD/PhD colleagues finish residency (3-4 years of lead is a long time)."

"There is one answer only: I would apply again.
If you feel like MD will suit your goals, don’t go for an 8 year program that will put you through grad school. You can be an assistant professor in a department of medicine by the time your MD/PhD colleagues finish residency (3-4 years of lead is a long time)."

Funny, but that is not OP’s goal, from her post. I have some friends who are MD attendings, others who are PhDs who are professors, and I am indeed an MD/PhD finishing residency. None of my friends who are in the clinical side are doing relevant (lab/R01 level) research, though. For a real career being a physician scientist, you need the protected time. Someone has to see patients the remaining 80% of the year, you know?

I actually have come across MD only neurosurgeons (of all specialties..) who are able to secure big grant money and protected time, and are actually respected as researchers among phd colleagues. And like, there are a number of neurosurgeons who manage this, perhaps more than even neurologists in my field of interest (comp neuro). So i suppose I’ll defer to earlier comments that theres no right answer.

Purpose of my facetious reply was that to just blanket cast one answer as wrong with that explanation isn’t really a satisfying reason to discount said answer.

I actually have come across MD only neurosurgeons (of all specialties..) who are able to secure big grant money and protected time, and are actually respected as researchers among phd colleagues. And like, there are a number of neurosurgeons who manage this, perhaps more than even neurologists in my field of interest (comp neuro). So i suppose I’ll defer to earlier comments that theres no right answer.

Purpose of my facetious reply was that to just blanket cast one answer as wrong with that explanation isn’t really a satisfying reason to discount said answer.

I apologize if I was not clear in my comment; I feel, as someone who has been in the path to become a physician scientist for 12 years, that the earliest academic appointments you can find are likely clinical, and full time research appointments are more likely to occur earlier even, as a bright PhD having finished a 5 year program can apply for a K award in a productive post doc (2 years) and obtain startup package offers in 8-9 years after initially beginning training as a full time researcher. A straight MD out of residency—even neurosurgery where you have an 80/20 split for a year or two—could not achieve this.
Now; an MD-PhD has the possibility to do either earlier, in theory. However, the gap between PhD and return to lab is at a minimum 4 years; believe it or not, it is really difficult to transition, be productive and have gathered all the acorns you need for that K. This will take later than either degree alone, in terms of achieving an academic position.
The pay off is that the MD-PhD or the MD with additional research training and independent funding is an attractive candidate out there, but even at that point you have to fight for a time split that actually works with the job. This is usually more than 70% of the time protected for research, which is difficult for medical schools and universities because your clinical work is going to be the lucrative part of employing you, and your colleagues will have to pick up all the patient care you can’t do, patient care that pays the bills.

I made it clear when I interviewed in 2010 that I would “apply again”. I wrote my honest opinion based on my personal experience and wisdom gathered, having gone from MSTP to PSTP, now on to fellowship—with the goal of having that 80/20 split. If you are applying to be a physician scientist, you should know that it is a career where it’s very difficult or impossible to split your time 50/50. All students reading this need to consider what being a physician scientist means. It is not as easy as choosing either.

I hope this answers your question and maybe gives you a little bit of wisdom. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users