Does size matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mor182

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes this is a rather silly question, but does size matter...specifically hand size? I'm 6'2, 220 pounds with a muscular build, and I guess I have pretty large hands. The first thing most people say when they see me (I'm Asian) is.."wow, you're big." When I told a classmate I was pursuing dentistry, he remarked "your hands are too big to be a dentist!" Now, I have great manual dexterity; I've played the guitar and violin for over 8 years, and I am very good with both automobile and carpentry work. I have no doubt that I will be a very skillful dentist, but will my size be a factor at all in the interview process? This is just a thought that crossed my mind and I wanted to see what your opinions are. Who here is bigger than I am and is pursuing dentistry?? :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes this is a rather silly question, but does size matter...specifically hand size? I'm 6'2, 220 pounds with a muscular build, and I guess I have pretty large hands. The first thing most people say when they see me (I'm Asian) is.."wow, you're big." When I told a classmate I was pursuing dentistry, he remarked "your hands are too big to be a dentist!" Now, I have great manual dexterity; I've played the guitar and violin for over 8 years, and I am very good with both automobile and carpentry work. I have no doubt that I will be a very skillful dentist, but will my size be a factor at all in the interview process? This is just a thought that crossed my mind and I wanted to see what your opinions are. Who here is bigger than I am and is pursuing dentistry?? :smuggrin:

If you have great manual dexterity what are you worried about?

Well, I'm 6'2" as well but you have 50 pounds on me :eek:

I think, if anything, your height and physical stature will help you. There have been studies in psychology showing taller people, better looking people, people in better shape, etc., are all dscriminated less in the work-world than fat, short, or "ugly," people. Interviewers on admissions committees are human, and subject to the same responses towards people as any other Joe. Therefore, your impressive size will probably warrant a positive reaction in their subconscious. I doubt they will look at you and think "this guy's hands are too big, no way he can have fine motor skills."

BTW, guitar player here as well; 10 years :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 5'6, and 130, so am on the other spectrum. My fiance and I were talking about this a few months back, and she mentioned that female dentists would probably be a bit more gentle, and have smaller hands, making her feel more comfortable. If my dentist had bear paws for hands, I would feel like I was being mauled. Not that they are any less competent, but I think size does matter.

On the bright side, you won't have a problem with extractions.

Acoustic guitar player as well, 8.5 years.

greg oden (former ohio state 7'0" baskball player now on the Portland Trailblazers) wanted to be dentist. i've seen a few former college football players enroll in dental school so u wouldn't be the first big guy.

I know a pediatric dentist who weighs about 250 lbs. He has huge hands and still manages to do an excellent job.

What about the other extreme end of the spectrum? Just over 5 feet and petite. Great manual dexterity but I look like a kid! I'm afraid they might not take me seriously. :oops:

my dentist has big gorilla hands too. don't worry :) you'll be fine

Size only matters in SDS-Page and Agarose gel electrophoresis!!!!!

I know a pediatric dentist who weighs about 250 lbs. He has huge hands and still manages to do an excellent job.

If I were a kid, and stared up at a dentist who was over 6x my body mass, I'd try to be a good patient as well.

What about the other extreme end of the spectrum? Just over 5 feet and petite. Great manual dexterity but I look like a kid! I'm afraid they might not take me seriously. :oops:

Haha, me too!! Not only do I look young, but I sound young too! I've been working as a dental assistant since January, and I can tell some of the patients are thinking, "Why the hell is this 15 year old coming near me?!"