Does Sodium reabsorption

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BodybldgDoc

occur in the proximal or distal tubules? or does it occur in the collecting ducts? I know vasopressin causes passive reabsorption of water in the collecting ducts but does it also cause active reabsorption of sodium?

Members don't see this ad.

According to one of the note I have, it says, Proximal Tubule actively transports sodium ion, ascending LOH absorbs salt, distal tubule regulates potassium ion and salt.

JFYI, RAA system causes increased absorption of sodium and water at the distal tubule. However, ADH only increases the uptake of water, not sodium.

occur in the proximal or distal tubules? or does it occur in the collecting ducts? I know vasopressin causes passive reabsorption of water in the collecting ducts but does it also cause active reabsorption of sodium?

The proximal tubule I think can reabsorb some salts...

The ascending limb of Henle is permeable to sodium which fuels the countercurrent exchange system of the nephron.

The distal tubule is where sodium reabsorption takes place in the presence of aldosterone. When blood pressure drops, specialized cells in the kidney detect the drop and, through a semi-long process, eventually cause the release of aldosterone which over time will allow more sodium to be reabsorbed into the body.

ADH (vasopressin) allows for the reabsorption of water in the collecting ducts by opening up water channels (aquaporins) through which osmosis can occur. Interesting fact: alcohol prevents ADH from being released, so when you drink liquor you eventually end up 'breaking the seal'.

Members don't see this ad :)
ADH (vasopressin) allows for the reabsorption of water in the collecting ducts by opening up water channels (aquaporins) through which osmosis can occur. Interesting fact: alcohol prevents ADH from being released, so when you drink liquor you eventually end up 'breaking the seal'.[/QUOTE]

Thats funny...our anatomy teacher mentioned drinking water before heavy drinking will help against hangover. Apparently most hangover effects are from lack of water in the body (no ADH for reabsorption).
Scott

well as we all know in the kidney....has a functioning unit call a nephron...so it goes in this order

bowmans capsule > proximal tubule > descending tubule > loop of henle > ascending tububle > distal tubule > collecting duct...

when the blood gets filtrated at the bowmans capsule it has the same concentration as blood (280-300 conc)...but when it hits the very bottom of the loop of henle it has a concentration of 1200 concentration meaning that in the descending loop of it transport water out (controlled by vasopressin by releasing aquaporin channels)...sure the proximal tubule transport some ions too...but i dont think not to much...but as the filtrate goes up the ascending tububle it has a concentration of 100...meaning that ions are being transported out, but not water...so depending on the levels of alderstone (produced by the medulla cortex also called mineralcoritcoids) the filtrate which becomes urine can have either a 50-1200 concentration when it reaches the very end of the collecting duct. so the more alderstone the more ions it will absorb.