tbcthk

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
11
0
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hi everyone,

I want to know how long does it take to be in specialty (4 years dental school + ? years post-graduate + ? years residency)

for example: ortho.

And do they usually earn more? how much they earn per year?

Thank you.
 

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2004
1,050
1
35
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Status
Dental Student
Length and salary of the specialty vary and can range from a year, to 4+ (oral surgery)...really depends on what you want to do. Ortho I believe is a 3 year program at most schools. Most lucrative specialties are ortho/oral surgery (OMFS), and endo. Important thing to remember is that the salaries all vary depending upon location and your own will to earn/work.
 

gator1210

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2005
179
1
Status
tbcthk said:
Hi everyone,

I want to know how long does it take to be in specialty (4 years dental school + ? years post-graduate + ? years residency)

for example: ortho.

And do they usually earn more? how much they earn per year?

Thank you.
Also remember, general dentist have 2-6 years less of school than specialists. And they can do braces, root canals and alot of stuff specialists do. You can be a general dentist and be really good at endo, and treat more root canals if you want.

Its all about continuing your education after dschool.
 
About the Ads

54807

Guest
10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2004
496
1
Status
Academic Administration
gator1210 said:
Also remember, general dentist have 2-6 years less of school than specialists. And they can do braces, root canals and alot of stuff specialists do. You can be a general dentist and be really good at endo, and treat more root canals if you want.

Its all about continuing your education after dschool.
Exactly. I'm all for being a general dentist. And to be honest, I think they make more than enough money to live a great lifestyle.

All this new stuff (like widespread implant use) is now available for the general dentist to do. So I really look forward to the new tools and procedures we'll be able to use. Arizona Republic just released an article citing grillz as the "must have accessory for hip hop". Ya never know! They may go mainstream! All I know is that we've got alot to look forward to.
 

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
11,750
17
Arizona
Status
Dentist
dexadental said:
Most lucrative specialties are ortho/oral surgery (OMFS), and endo. Important thing to remember is that the salaries all vary depending upon location and your own will to earn/work.
The ADA notes that the most lucrative specialties, based on their data, are OMFS, endo, and peds.
 
About the Ads