Does Statistics count in BCPM GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yikarim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i took statistics, however it was not offered by the math department, but by the economics department and I was wondering if it wold be counted in my BCPM gpa.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

So i took statistics, however it was not offered by the math department, but by the economics department and I was wondering if it wold be counted in my BCPM gpa.

thanks

For the TMDSAS, if it was taught via the math department (as opposed to social sciences stats or some such thing), it would count.

Unsure if the AMCAS does the same.

It counts. Statistics is statistics doesn't matter if its offered by psych or econ department.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there anyway to get the course grade to not count in my science gpa? didnt do so hot in stat

^Not for something that should be so clearly part of your BCMP GPA. I've heard econ pre-meds say that econometrics can be counted as part of the BCMP GPA too (it's just applied statistics).

So is English the only pre requisite that does not count for your sGPA BCMP?

Some schools require social sciences or humanities, but they're in the minority. Mostly, yes, pre-med pre-reqs are sciences. Which makes sense, honestly!

is there anyway to get the course grade to not count in my science gpa? didnt do so hot in stat

You can try listing it as an econ class instead of math but they will change it if the course name on your transcript gives it away as a stats class.

You can try listing it as an econ class instead of math but they will change it if the course name on your transcript gives it away as a stats class.

actually i ran into this problem when i applied last year. the class was titled "Statistics 121- Probability and Statistics for Business Majors" I listed it as a business class because I didn't do so well and figured I might as well try. They didn't change it to bcpm (even though it was offered through the statistics departments) i think stats is one of the few flexible classes

That's good to know. I took a Psychology class that was literally just called "Statistics", and I did well in it. I'm hoping it'll count towards the BCPM GPA. All the class was about was Statistics.

Sorry if this seems redundant, but I want to be sure, Stats 21: [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Introductory Probability and Statistics for Business would count towards BCPM? and would fulfill the stats requirement for medical schools that require it?

Sorry if this seems redundant, but I want to be sure, Stats 21: [FONT=Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Introductory Probability and Statistics for Business would count towards BCPM? and would fulfill the stats requirement for medical schools that require it?

If stat's in the name. Then it counts for science gpa. It doesn't matter if its by the econ, bussiness, sociology, or psych department.

In all honesty, if you think its BCPM then it likely is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh it's actually offered by the stats department, it's just that it's not calculus-based and it's intended for business majors. So it should fulfill the stats pre-req for med schools like UCLA right?

EDIT: I meant math-based.

Last edited:
Oh it's actually offered by the stats department, it's just that it's not calculus-based and it's intended for business majors. So it should fulfill the stats pre-req for med schools like UCLA right?

Statistic's isn't usually calc based....

how could statistics not be based on math?

Description. Statistics 21 is a service course designed primarily for Business students. It is not very mathematical. Neither linear algebra nor calculus is required, although some concepts seem more natural if you understand integration and differentiation. You do need to be comfortable with math at the level of high-school algebra (e.g., the equation of a straight line, plotting points, taking powers and roots, percentages).

Okay, I want this course to be able to fulfill the prereq, just making sure, that's all.

Description. Statistics 21 is a service course designed primarily for Business students. It is not very mathematical. Neither linear algebra nor calculus is required, although some concepts seem more natural if you understand integration and differentiation. You do need to be comfortable with math at the level of high-school algebra (e.g., the equation of a straight line, plotting points, taking powers and roots, percentages).

Okay, I want this course to be able to fulfill the prereq, just making sure, that's all.

Wow, sounds like an incredibly weak-sauce, middle school class.

Wow, sounds like an incredibly weak-sauce, middle school class.

Statistics is concept based and concept driven. The intro courses primarily care if you can figure out the qualitative aspects, where as the upper level courses are more concerned with the quantitative.
But then again, I know grad school statistics for applied psychology programs has very little math involved in it.
Which is why at some schools Statistics is its own department or category separate from math.

*stat's better though*

Just to be clear, would environmental science AP: be considered physics or chemistry? Should I not add this?

Last edited:
Just to be clear, would environmental science AP: be considered physics or chemistry? Should I not add this?
An AP class from high school?
If it's on your transcript add it as whatever your school counted it as.
I would say it's neither physics or chemistry and definitely won't fulfill the pre-req requirement for either.

If it's not on your college transcript don't add it.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question about one of my classes, it was offered by the statistics department and titled "Survey of Operations Management" so I feel like it was really a mgmt class but because it was by the stats dept I'm not sure. BCPM or no?