does step 3 count for fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

error404

file not found
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm always hearing stories from people who say, "I studied 3 days for Step 3 and passed." And while I'm tempted to also study a measly week, I'm wondering how much a borderline score could hurt in fellowship applications.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently finishing up my intern year of psychiatry at Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee. During my 4 months of internal medicine, a pulmonologist gave a lecture during noon conference on getting into internal medicine fellowship programs and mentioned that most programs have a Step 3 cut-off score to determine whether or not an application gets look at further or immediately rejected.

More specifically, the director of the child & adolescent psychiatry fellowship program at Vanderbilt University gave a lecture on growth and development and took questions afterward. Someone asked her if a high Step 3 score were needed to gain acceptance into her program. Her response was that a Step 3 score of at least 200 is required for an application to receive further review.