Does Step 3 Matter for Derm Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

FixItUp Chappie

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am taking step 3 in less than a week. Like everyone else I know, I have had very little time to study for this ridiculous waste of time and money.

Does your score on Step 3 matter at all when it comes to applying to Derm fellowships? I've heard that it doesn't matter what you score on this test at all with regard to dermatology academic advancement. .
 
I am taking step 3 in less than a week. Like everyone else I know, I have had very little time to study for this ridiculous waste of time and money.

Does your score on Step 3 matter at all when it comes to applying to Derm fellowships? I've heard that it doesn't matter what you score on this test at all with regard to dermatology academic advancement. .

Doesn't matter for fellowship AFTER you've done derm. residency; if you're talking about a pre-residency fellowship, then YES.
 
Doesn't matter for fellowship AFTER you've done derm. residency; if you're talking about a pre-residency fellowship, then YES.

I guess I should have clarified that. I was talking about a potential Dermpath or Procedural fellowship after finishing my Derm residency, not a research fellowship trying to get into a residency. I already matched.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I should have clarified that. I was talking about a potential Dermpath or Procedural fellowship after finishing my Derm residency, not a research fellowship trying to get into a residency. I already matched.

We know you're matched ;-)...just for the edification of the others out there...😳)
 
In my experience, no. The only thing that matters is how much ass kissing and hard work you do during residency. Mostly ass kissing, and chumming it up at the academy meetings. Make your attendings happy, and they'll hook you up.
 
I'm glad to hear the replies to this question. I'm taking the stupid thing in a few weeks and, while I think I'll pass, it ain't gonna be pretty.