Does TAing a class look good for medical school admissions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zogoto

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was invited to TA a class and I was going to do it in order to get to know the instructor better and get a recommendation letter, but decided that that wasn't enough of a reason to give up tons of time into it, because the class is a lab class and it's mostly babysitting students and very little actually stimulating teaching. However, would TAing look good for med. school? It's a bio lab class and I'm an elec. engineering + math major, if that's anything, since it may augment how much bio I've been exposed to in college.

But yeah does TAing a class look good for med. school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it doesn't sound like a bad idea and I'm sure it will look "good" on your med application.

But a better question is, is TAing better than having a research paper out in your name on your application?

What about, is TAing better than volunteering for the free clinic in showing your aspirations in medicine?

Just saying...

Very good points. I will do research regardless. I would probably volunteer more if I didn't TA since I'd have a lot more time, and I could take 1 extra class, meaning I could have more time in a future semester (or I could not take the extra class and volunteer AND shadow more or something). How good does TAing look? Is it viewed as leadership experience? I think that's one of the main places my application will lack.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's more important if you'd be able to talk about enthusiastically, or show that you learned something from it. It seems to me that few things "look good" by themselves on an app since adcoms have seen it all already. It's more an issue of how good you make it look.

Well I could probably talk about it enthusiastically and whatnot. TAing should be pretty fun, and apparently you really learn your bio because the class is full of premeds that ask lots of questions, so you're forced to know your stuff and also to explain it to other people. Also I think it would develop skills like working with people, etc. Still, my concern is the lack of leadership, and I wonder if this will be a leadership role...

I wonder if this will be a leadership role...

Absolutely, yes, as you will not be successful if you cannot demonstrate leadership abilities. And as a side benefit, maybe you'll get paid to TA the class.

I was invited to TA a class and I was going to do it in order to get to know the instructor better and get a recommendation letter, but decided that that wasn't enough of a reason to give up tons of time into it, because the class is a lab class and it's mostly babysitting students and very little actually stimulating teaching. However, would TAing look good for med. school? It's a bio lab class and I'm an elec. engineering + math major, if that's anything, since it may augment how much bio I've been exposed to in college.

sure it does. honestly, anything that you do that is remotely interesting will look good.

Well it seems like you want it to improve your application and nothing else. That being said, I'd say take a leadership role among peers in something that you're interested in. TAing can be monotonous and the pay can downright suck depending on the department's pay scale. Couple that with grading and it can turn into a less than ideal time. I don't TA because there is a huge conflict of interest since I know and talk to most of the students I'd be grading so that is my reason not to TA. However, I wouldn't do it regardless because the time and input scale does not equal the output/pay scale. Think about it and don't rush in because its not good to look at things as opportunities for your resume. There are many activities that both help your resume but are fun at the same time.

I am actually a chem TA and I think one of the reasons I got into multiple PBL-curricular medical schools is because of my TA-ing experience.. if PBL is something you are looking for, then maybe..

I think TAing is a great way to learn something about the class that you're interested in and enthusiastic about. But I'm not sure if you'll like it or if it will help you just because you want to look good for medical school. Seeing as to how you're a math/engineering person, it might be better (and less time consuming) to be a tutor once in a while since all you'll have to do is be around to answer questions.

How well did you do in the bio class? Maybe you can be a TA or a tutor for a calc or engineering class that you're really into. Not only will you get a recommendation letter, but you'll enjoy doing it :)

I am actually a chem TA and I think one of the reasons I got into multiple PBL-curricular medical schools is because of my TA-ing experience.. if PBL is something you are looking for, then maybe..

Interesting.. that never occurred to me. I have been TAing all year for several different chem labs, homework help sessions, and workshops and I LOVE doing it. It is completely worthwhile, I have a blast and really feel like I'm making a contribution. I've also been really interested in PBL, even though I hear a lot of negative reviews, because I really feel like it would fit my learning style well. Never considered there might be a correlation.. Did you talk about this a lot in your interviews?

I made boat loads of money doing it but was never asked about it in interviews. I guess what I'm saying is that it is certainly worth it but won't be the determining factor getting you into to med school. It's just one of the many, many things schools like.

Not every school pays the same.

agreed. I TA at my school the undergrad TAs get paid something around $12/hr. My friend at another school in another state TAs and makes a lousy $7ish/hr.

Interesting.. that never occurred to me. I have been TAing all year for several different chem labs, homework help sessions, and workshops and I LOVE doing it. It is completely worthwhile, I have a blast and really feel like I'm making a contribution. I've also been really interested in PBL, even though I hear a lot of negative reviews, because I really feel like it would fit my learning style well. Never considered there might be a correlation.. Did you talk about this a lot in your interviews?

i did talk a little bit about it in my interviews but it was my primary employment on my AMCAS application.. i know at northwestern i definitely mentioned it as one of the reasons why i thought i should go there.. actually i only brought it up because my interview was going downhill.. but surprisingly, i got in in spite of a horrible 1-1 interview.. which is one of the reasons why i think my TAing experience made a difference..

and as far as pay is concerned, i get paid $10/hr which isnt much but better than the min wage i get in other on-campus jobs..

I TA'd and got questions about it on my interviews. Interviewers seemed interested in it and feedback was positive. Didn't get paid but got credit. It was for a cell bio lab, but was also very hands on. I wrote all the quizzes, helped write the lab practical, and graded all the notebooks.

I thought it was fun, honestly.