does the interviewer read over applicant's portfoilio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the NYUCD interview feedback. It seems like the interviewers do not read the applicant's portfolio before the interview. Is it true?

Members don't see this ad.

At every interview I have been to so far it seems like my interviewers have not even looked over my information... They don't even have a clue about my file it seems.

I was reading the NYUCD interview feedback. It seems like the interviewers do not read the applicant's portfolio before the interview. Is it true?

Keep reading different interview feedbacks and you will see which schools have open and which have closed application interviews. Some schools will have one student interview that is closed and a faculty interview that is open. it varies and nailing it down generally isn't going to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many interviewers simply don't have time to delve deeply into the file. Some do read everything, but others don't open it until 5 minutes before the interview. This is what I've seen from personal experiences.

My NYU person had it out and seemed like she looked over it at least a bit beforehand because she knew things about me already. Some schools do closed file where they dont know anything about you or have your file during the interview

My interviewer from UMDNJ actually mentioned a phrase I used in my personal statement. So, some know your file very well.

My NYU person had it out and seemed like she looked over it at least a bit beforehand because she knew things about me already. Some schools do closed file where they dont know anything about you or have your file during the interview

Same here my interviewer knew a lot about me before hand.

Based on my interviewS so far, some do some don't.

3 out of the 4 interviewers I had did not look at my application until they sat down to talk to me.

I interviewed at UMKC, and they read over every single word... and asked questions from that...

Not true. My interviewer at NYU mentioned how she had gone over my file prior to the interview and asked me questions related to it.

Many interviewers simply don't have time to delve deeply into the file. Some do read everything, but others don't open it until 5 minutes before the interview. This is what I've seen from personal experiences.

Do you think it might also be by design? i.e. if they read the file before hand they are going into the interview with some bias or preformed opinion?