Does the "rank" of pharmacy schools matters when you graduate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cy19861126

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I am trying to apply to ACP as an early decision applicant. However, when I looked at the pharmacy school ranks, I found out that ACP wasn't even in the top 35 of all pharmacy schools. I am worried if I really get in, my future would be doomed. But my friends are telling me to calm down because they said that employers only look at your license and whether you pass the NAPLEX exam, not the school you graduated. Is this true? I have a friend working as a pharm. tech at a hospital saying that the employers in the hospital won't employ pharmacists graduated from bad schools. The ranking resource is from this website, Pharmacy School Rank, please tell me if the information is reliable or not

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not American, but my impression from what I've learned here is that all American pharm schools are top-notch. It's not like you're going to some non-accredited Caribbean school or something.

The school you graduate from does not really matter in terms of your ability to get a job...a Pharm.D. is a Pharm.D. is a Pharm.D. The only reason where you went to school might matter is if the pharmacy manager went to a certain school and he/she prefers to hire graduates from their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
cy19861126 said:
Hey folks, I am trying to apply to ACP as an early decision applicant. However, when I looked at the pharmacy school ranks, I found out that ACP wasn't even in the top 35 of all pharmacy schools. I am worried if I really get in, my future would be doomed. But my friends are telling me to calm down because they said that employers only look at your license and whether you pass the NAPLEX exam, not the school you graduated. Is this true? I have a friend working as a pharm. tech at a hospital saying that the employers in the hospital won't employ pharmacists graduated from bad schools. The ranking resource is from this website, Pharmacy School Rank, please tell me if the information is reliable or not

Also, as have been said before, the ranking is based on "NIH funding and is not qualitative ranking" (quoted from the ranking website); so therefore, I don't think the rankings are reliable.
To get in any pharmacy school is an achievement on its own.
Good luck!

cy19861126 said:

i heard from somewhere or someone that it actually matters in some ways but i cant remember, maybe it's just my memory...... :D

If you look, those rankings are from 1996. That's 10 years ago! It doesn't mean jack either way.

strawberry2006 said:
Also, as have been said before, the ranking is based on "NIH funding and is not qualitative ranking" (quoted from the ranking website); so therefore, I don't think the rankings are reliable.
To get in any pharmacy school is an achievement on its own.
Good luck!

totally agree with above statement...very well said....good luck :luck:

rankings don't mean anything. even if you go to the worst pharmacy school ever. you are going to find a job that pays the same.

pharmwannebe2 said:
rankings don't mean anything. even if you go to the worst pharmacy school ever. you are going to find a job that pays the same.

What matters the most is you are able to pass the NAPLEX and the stste law exams.