Does the "rank" of pharmacy schools matters when you graduate?

cy19861126

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
Hey folks, I am trying to apply to ACP as an early decision applicant. However, when I looked at the pharmacy school ranks, I found out that ACP wasn't even in the top 35 of all pharmacy schools. I am worried if I really get in, my future would be doomed. But my friends are telling me to calm down because they said that employers only look at your license and whether you pass the NAPLEX exam, not the school you graduated. Is this true? I have a friend working as a pharm. tech at a hospital saying that the employers in the hospital won't employ pharmacists graduated from bad schools. The ranking resource is from this website, Pharmacy School Rank, please tell me if the information is reliable or not

Seveneighty

ego sum venenum
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2005
Canada
Status
Pharmacy Student
I'm not American, but my impression from what I've learned here is that all American pharm schools are top-notch. It's not like you're going to some non-accredited Caribbean school or something.

ButlerPharm.D.

Honor Before Glory
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2004
Status
Pharmacist
The school you graduate from does not really matter in terms of your ability to get a job...a Pharm.D. is a Pharm.D. is a Pharm.D. The only reason where you went to school might matter is if the pharmacy manager went to a certain school and he/she prefers to hire graduates from their school.

About the Ads

strawberry2006

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 3, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student
cy19861126 said:
Hey folks, I am trying to apply to ACP as an early decision applicant. However, when I looked at the pharmacy school ranks, I found out that ACP wasn't even in the top 35 of all pharmacy schools. I am worried if I really get in, my future would be doomed. But my friends are telling me to calm down because they said that employers only look at your license and whether you pass the NAPLEX exam, not the school you graduated. Is this true? I have a friend working as a pharm. tech at a hospital saying that the employers in the hospital won't employ pharmacists graduated from bad schools. The ranking resource is from this website, Pharmacy School Rank, please tell me if the information is reliable or not
Also, as have been said before, the ranking is based on "NIH funding and is not qualitative ranking" (quoted from the ranking website); so therefore, I don't think the rankings are reliable.
To get in any pharmacy school is an achievement on its own.
Good luck!

tdkneo

The Future Dr.Nguyen
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
cy19861126 said:
i heard from somewhere or someone that it actually matters in some ways but i cant remember, maybe it's just my memory...... :D

dgroulx

Night Pharmacist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2003
Woodinville, Washington
Status
Pharmacist
If you look, those rankings are from 1996. That's 10 years ago! It doesn't mean jack either way.

futurepharm.d.?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2005
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
strawberry2006 said:
Also, as have been said before, the ranking is based on "NIH funding and is not qualitative ranking" (quoted from the ranking website); so therefore, I don't think the rankings are reliable.
To get in any pharmacy school is an achievement on its own.
Good luck!

totally agree with above statement...very well said....good luck :luck:

pharmwannebe2

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Flipadelphia, PA
Status
Pharmacy Student
rankings don't mean anything. even if you go to the worst pharmacy school ever. you are going to find a job that pays the same.

TUNDE

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
pharmwannebe2 said:
rankings don't mean anything. even if you go to the worst pharmacy school ever. you are going to find a job that pays the same.
What matters the most is you are able to pass the NAPLEX and the stste law exams.

About the Ads