Does the region from which one receives an SLOR matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vanilla60

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am trying to be in the NY/NJ region but, as an FMG, I am having a very hard time lining up EM rotations in those areas. So I am faced with the possibilities of going to random places in the country for EM clerkships.

My question is when the programs int he region I want to be see that my SLORs are from programs far away will they look less favorably upon my application? Or does it not matter so much?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from the Midwest, rotated in the midwest for an away. Also rotated in California. Matched on east coast. Sooooooo I think it showed I was willing to leave my original region. However what programs appreciated is that I rotated at very different hospitals which looked good apparently. So if you can't get your top choice try for some variety, different regions of the country. Also try a county hospital, private hospital, and a academic hospital (or some combo).

I think it's more a matter of most of the program directors in an area know the other program directors and probably some of the APDs. So if you get a good letter from program A in New York and Program B can say "I know this person, and I trust them, so this is really a great letter." Versus "good letter, but it's from someone I've never heard of." So not a bad idea to rotate near where you want to be. But if you can't do that you can't do it, so not worth worrying over.