Does the Stafford ever increase the loan amount?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So medical school tuition, cost of living, books, everything will go up in price after each year I am in medical school. That is a given. (my med school increased tuition by 1.5k from last year, and I assume a similar increase will happen each year). However, I am under the impression that the amount we can take out each year for a Stafford loan does not go up each year. So does this mean that we get screwed more and more each year? (the 8.5k subsidized loan covers less and less of the bill each year!)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, my understanding is that unless congress votes to raise it the max stafford limits aren't going to change.

Graduate student limits haven't been raised since 1993. Way to keep up with inflation! They raised freshman and sophomore limits a bit this year but that's it.

Well, the $8500 sub stafford hasn't changed, but the unsubsized stafford amounts just increased for this year by $2k. Consequently we can take out $40,500 for the first and second year of school instead of $38,500. Also, I believe you can get more staffords (unsub again) in your 3rd and 4th year because you're on a 12 month schedule. I think you get somewhere around 45k at that point.

Now what I'd really like to see is the government up the total lifetime stafford cap because I'm going to hit that 4th year.