Medical Does this belong in my personal statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi experts. I first want to thank you for the time that you put in to engage with the community here. I'm not a long-time member of SDN, but I pay extra attention to the threads that you all are associated with.

Back to my question. I am a 2018 Olympian for Team USA turned pre-med student. Originally, I had planned to make a second trip to the Games in 2022, but there was an obstacle that hampered my teammates and my chances for success at the next Olympics. Without going into too much detail, I ultimately left the national team and stood up to my organization. Even though I stopped competing in my sport, the decision was entirely mine, and I am proud to have made this decision.

This experience doesn't naturally tie into why I would like to attend medical school, and I can't tell whether it adds to or detracts from my character. Should I include it in my personal statement?
If it doesn't have anything to do with why you want to go to med school, then your personal statement probably isn't the place for it. A lot of schools will likely have an "overcoming obstacles" prompt on their secondary, or something like that, where you could probably use the story.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.