Does this career/niche exist?

Started by desertcat
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

desertcat

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in my 3rd year of med school and I was wondering is it possible to be a general clinical neurologist that also does interventional pain procedures? I know neurologist can get into to pain fellowships now but does following that path pidgeon hole you into becoming exclusively a pain specialist who only sees pain patients? I'm really into neuro but I think I also would really enjoy doing the procedures that interventional pain offers, is this unrealistic?
 
I'm in my 3rd year of med school and I was wondering is it possible to be a general clinical neurologist that also does interventional pain procedures? I know neurologist can get into to pain fellowships now but does following that path pidgeon hole you into becoming exclusively a pain specialist who only sees pain patients? I'm really into neuro but I think I also would really enjoy doing the procedures that interventional pain offers, is this unrealistic?

Not unrealistic, but not easy. You will have to do a 2 or 3-year pain fellowship, get through pain boards, and have your pain program director sign on the hospital privileges thing. Practice of procedures is increasingly regulated. That might be a problem, but if you like this idea, you can do it.

One of my resident-mates from 11 yrs ago, is actually doing that. However, he was an Anesthesiologist and trained in Pain fellowship, who went back to do a Neurology residency. After the Neuro, he was getting all kinds of offers to head programs (even at academic institutions).