• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Does this count as clinical experience/exposure?

JKiran

Jun 5, 2020
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello, I'm really new to this site, but let me explain my situation. I finished my sophomore year and I'm trying to figure out if my experiences align with what medical schools want in an applicant. I have been volunteering at the same hospital every summer for the past few years until COVID-19 happened. I've helped out in different areas and my most recent position involved me giving coloring pages/magazines/aromatherapy to patients and I always feel like I've done something after leaving the hospital- I love being there and I have few memorable brief patient experiences. In addition, I work at a nurse practitioner's (DNP) clinic where I've taken vital signs, helped out with EKGs and talked briefly with some patients about their health issues. These are my only clinical experiences so far. I know hospital volunteering is accepted but is working with a non-MD physician still considered clinical experience?

Upvote 0

red_tangoes

5+ Year Member
Apr 4, 2016
  1. Medical Student
Yes, this counts as clinical experience. You should try to get some physician shadowing in when the COVID-19 situation dies down though.

A good rule of thumb is this: If you can smell the patient it is clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.