Does this count as research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oboeyoudidnt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To begin, I have no formal research to put on my application, but I have an experience that may count. I am currently serving as a Peace Corps volunteer in a country in West Africa. Last year, my counterpart and I went door to door surveying families about their use of mosquito bed nets. We analysed survey results and determined the largest barriers to utilization of the nets. Then this past year, we put together a presentation that addressed misconceptions about the nets and how to hang them. A lot of people were having trouble hanging them and just gave up. So although this wasn’t a very sophisticated project, could I list it as research in my work and activities? Thank you in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

You could call it qualitative research or mixed methods research. You could also call it a "needs assessment" and an intervention. It's better than nothing which is what you otherwise have on the application.