Does this count as volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MedusaFelix

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My mom's been a dance instructor and a rhythmic gymnastics coach for over a decade. I've been helping out at her classes whenever I can for just as long, especially when there are young kids. Obviously, I wasn't giving out medical aid at a professional level, just correcting posture and maybe giving out ice bags if they need it.

I honestly do not know if this counts as volunteering or any sort of useful experience. It's certainly not HCE. And I guess if schools wanted to verify this they'd have to talk to my mom, so it feels even less professional. I do plan on being a hospice volunteer, though I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere near 1000 hrs due to work.

Should I even mention volunteering at my mom's classes on my future application?
 
My mom's been a dance instructor and a rhythmic gymnastics coach for over a decade. I've been helping out at her classes whenever I can for just as long, especially when there are young kids. Obviously, I wasn't giving out medical aid at a professional level, just correcting posture and maybe giving out ice bags if they need it.

I honestly do not know if this counts as volunteering or any sort of useful experience. It's certainly not HCE. And I guess if schools wanted to verify this they'd have to talk to my mom, so it feels even less professional. I do plan on being a hospice volunteer, though I doubt I'll be able to get anywhere near 1000 hrs due to work.

Should I even mention volunteering at my mom's classes on my future application?
I wouldn't. I guess if you wanted you could put it and then talk it up at an interview. But it's something so insignificant that I wouldn't even bother putting it there

Edit: I didn't realize this was an RN thread. You should put it