Does this ever make you mad???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Trek 1

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A huge pet peeve of mine is when some health care professionals (i.e. psychologists, dentists, nurses, etc.) seem not to be aware be aware that DOs exist.

For instance, whenever I am at a health-related meeting or a seminar and someone says something like, "And then you would need a doctor, an actual MD, to do that" I always get very upset that someone in the health care profession does not take it upon themselves to fully learn about different health professions.

For those of you who are familiar with a PsyD degree in psychology, it's kind of like the "DO of psychologists" in that it is equivalent to a PhD in clinical psychology but not as many people are aware of it. So, when people who say something like, "You'd want to have an actual psychologist, a PhD or PsyD, or a doctor, and actual MD, answer this question" I get extra annoyed that they researched psychological professions but not medical professions.

The good news is that I always inform these people afterwards about the existence of DOs and they are quite receptive, however I think they should have taken the initiative to learn about all options in healthcare.

Can anyone else relate??

Members don't see this ad.

It does annoy me at times...and I do take the time to educate.....but....

In all honesty most people research enough to know that the person giving them medicine and/or surgery is a Doctor....there's really no need to go beyond that.....when we only make up around 5% of the Physician population I think its understandable that most assume Doctor=MD..

While DO/MD is not really equivilant to DMD/DDS for Dentists....most people could give a $hit either way as long their teeth are taken care of....

Why should they? It isn't their fault they aren't aware. It's up to us to spread the word. Here is an analogy - possibly a poor one. There's a bunch of different religions out there and we're oblivious to them. Is it my fault for not researching them all and being receptive to the beliefs of individuals or is it the religion for not being so widespread? Ex: I had a roommate who was a follower of suffism. I had no idea it existed until then. I was raised with a certain religion but I still don't know about them all. Who's fault?

I don't believe I'm at fault nor are they.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Trek 1 said:
A huge pet peeve of mine is when some health care professionals (i.e. psychologists, dentists, nurses, etc.) seem not to be aware be aware that DOs exist.

For instance, whenever I am at a health-related meeting or a seminar and someone says something like, "And then you would need a doctor, an actual MD, to do that" I always get very upset that someone in the health care profession does not take it upon themselves to fully learn about different health professions.

For those of you who are familiar with a PsyD degree in psychology, it's kind of like the "DO of psychologists" in that it is equivalent to a PhD in clinical psychology but not as many people are aware of it. So, when people who say something like, "You'd want to have an actual psychologist, a PhD or PsyD, or a doctor, and actual MD, answer this question" I get extra annoyed that they researched psychological professions but not medical professions.

The good news is that I always inform these people afterwards about the existence of DOs and they are quite receptive, however I think they should have taken the initiative to learn about all options in healthcare.

Can anyone else relate??

Don't let other people's incompetence affect your mood.

What about PharmD, D.P.T., D.P.M., D.D.S./D.M.D.? Are they all doctors too? Me thinks there are a lot of people out there who are doctors also who aren't referred to as a doctor, but rather my "pharmacist" or my "dentist". I don't think they complain...

Let your actions, medical knowledge, and bedside manner speak louder than your degree...

djnels01 said:
What about PharmD, D.P.T., D.P.M., D.D.S./D.M.D.? Are they all doctors too? Me thinks there are a lot of people out there who are doctors also who aren't referred to as a doctor, but rather my "pharmacist" or my "dentist". I don't think they complain...

Let your actions, medical knowledge, and bedside manner speak louder than your degree...

However I believe strongly that if someone is in the medical profession and deals with physicians and patients on a daily basis, they should take the time to educate themeselves as much as possible about the profession.

It's like being a diocesan priest and not knowing what a Franciscan or a Jesuit is. Although diocesean priests will never necessarily have to deal with one of these other priests in their lifetime, I think it would be extremely unprofessional not to know what one is.

The best comment I have seen was when I was shadowing a DO and a patient told him that he was only there because he needed a chiropractor's signature. The DO and I just looked at each other and giggled. Even telling my friends about applying to DO school, they have NO idea what it is. I argee that if we are constantly educating people then they will catch on.
:laugh: