Does This Matter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am supposed to graduate from my undergrad program in May and today I was looking over the information about graduation. I found out if I took 60 hours at this university instead of the 59 that I will end with, i could have graduated summa cum laude. Does it matter? Am I missing out on anything or is it just some fancy words on my degree?

Members don't see this ad.

No worries, it's fancy words on your degree. Though I find it weird that there's a credit differentiation. o_O

No worries, it's fancy words on your degree. Though I find it weird that there's a credit differentiation. o_O

Well that is a relief but still kind of frustrating. If I just took one more class last semester (for a total of 15), which would have bumped me up to 62 hours.

I suppose I could still get that distinction but I would have to cancel my graduation application, take a course over the summer, and then graduate in August. I am not sure the grad school I am going to next year would like it if i graduated from my current university later than I said I would and was taking courses at two universities, at the same time (i have a summer school class at the grad school too).

In the end it would cost probably well over $1000, i would be driving about 100 miles a day for two classes, and jeopardize my admission to grad school. It probably isn't worth all that but still....:(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd do it.

If that makes any difference to you, I'd do it.

Discuss the possibility with your graduate school adviser, and even if you risk losing out on one year of graduate school, you will regret not earning Summa cum Laude for the rest of year life.

At least I would consider starting graduate school a year later if it meant earning that level of distinction.

You should give it serious thought. Of course, on the flip side, if you're already admitted to graduate school, then Summa distinction probably won't matter too much when you're "job hunting" but it'd still be something you should be proud of, and telling colleagues/possible employers you were almost Summa just won't cut it.

I'd do it.

If that makes any difference to you, I'd do it.

Discuss the possibility with your graduate school adviser, and even if you risk losing out on one year of graduate school, you will regret not earning Summa cum Laude for the rest of year life.

At least I would consider starting graduate school a year later if it meant earning that level of distinction.

You should give it serious thought. Of course, on the flip side, if you're already admitted to graduate school, then Summa distinction probably won't matter too much when you're "job hunting" but it'd still be something you should be proud of, and telling colleagues/possible employers you were almost Summa just won't cut it.

Not go to grad school right away to get 1 credit to be summa cum laude?? i feel like in social work it won't make an ounce of difference. it's something to be proud of, but to do it for bragging rights is kind of silly.

Not go to grad school right away to get 1 credit to be summa cum laude?? i feel like in social work it won't make an ounce of difference. it's something to be proud of, but to do it for bragging rights is kind of silly.

It's a matter of opinion, like anything else.

Perhaps you're the kind of person that feels that a Ferrari is excessive because, in essence, it's just a car. But more than being a car, it's a bragging right, it's a declaration of superiority over <insert X person here> and that's the bottom line.

You seem to be in some whimsical world where things like titles and accolades don't matter, but you don't know for sure that having Summa on transcript/degree and being able to mention it in an interview will indeed be worthless, just like I don't know for sure that it won't.

Instead of addressing me, and how silly my opinion is to you, perhaps you ought to address the OP and give your not-so silly, logic and rational opinion?

Anthony

I think it would be an enormous waste of time and money to take an extra class just to qualify for summa. Your GPA won't really change, just the credits and your GPA is still on the transcripts.

I graduated Summa, and I'd be the first to say who cares. GPA distinctions should be a relatively minor accomplishment for anyone with grad school hopes anyway. You'll be one step ahead since you'll have the GPA, just not the title. Being proud of your GPA is one thing, but I don't understand being proud of titles that result from your GPA. You've done nothing else to "earn" it beyond the GPA

I find it hard to imagine this coming up during any interview and even if it did your explanation of having transferred is perfectly reasonable. Really, these things are just fluff and CV padding - your GPA essentially provides the same information. It ranks right up there with Phi Eta Sigma, Goldenkey, and other such organizations that don't mean squat (save for those who take officer roles). There are far more important things to concern yourself with.

I am supposed to graduate from my undergrad program in May and today I was looking over the information about graduation. I found out if I took 60 hours at this university instead of the 59 that I will end with, i could have graduated summa cum laude. Does it matter? Am I missing out on anything or is it just some fancy words on my degree?

Does your school offer any mid-semester courses? Or you could add an online class or independant study course and try to finish it before may? Also, does this 1 credit need to be under a certian topic? At my univ. they have a lot of PE/health type classes that dont start until the weather gets warmer like intro golf or group volleyball. They only count towards your total hours for graduation and not toward your GPA.

It's not worth it. You still have the GPA, who cares if you're missing 3 words on a degree? No one will care what distinctions you had in college once you're a psychologist. The only thing that matters is how you help people with your career. I can't even fathom waiting another year to start my career as a psychologist so I could get one more line on a resume.