Does this program have any value?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meraki_soul

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would an MPhil in Health, Medicine, and Society (looks like a medical anthropology and ethics degree) from Cambridge help at all in a future medical career? I'm not looking at it from the point of medical school admissions, but whether it would play any role in the future. Would it help an applicant who is interested in global health work? Would it help for residencies? It seems like a really cool degree and it's from Cambridge...but not sure about its impact in reality.

Members don't see this ad.

Every degree can have value for the person who is going to genuinely seek to apply the knowledge obtained to a field (even having a music degree can be applicable to medicine if you use it correctly). Degrees can also be worthwhile just because they're interesting to the person pursuing it - it doesn't need to have a direct application.

So, if you're really interested in the topic, go for it regardless of whether it's going to hold practical value. If you want to do ethics research or programming or sociology/anthropology research in medical school and beyond and want to keep up on what you learn by continuing to read in the area throughout your training, go for it and it will probably lay a nice foundation for that to be your niche in medicine.

The only time a degree is a "waste" is if somebody thinks that having it is going to get them where you want to go just because of the letters themselves. At some point, if you haven't produced in the area you studied, people begin to realize all you have is a piece of paper. Sometimes it takes years, but it happens . That's the only time I'd say better to just pass it up, and only you can be honest with yourself about that.

And just a note on master's degrees in the UK - they are cash cows...not to say you don't learn a ton or that that specific program isn't a good program (I have no clue, nor will most on here I imagine given its one degree at one non-us institution), but the name would not, if it were me evaluating, be such a big deal knowing how much easier it is to do master's degrees at most universities than it is to do undergrad, professional school, etc.

Just one perspective, but hope it helps.