Does this quote make sense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monopolova

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does this make sense? There's not much I can do now since I already sent my p.s. in, but I was just wondering.

"Medicine has thus, from my early youth, served itself with a side of inquiry."

I was referring to the food usage of "serve" and "side" -- kind of a play on words -- but this has been lost on a lot of people. Gah. Perhaps a little too abstract for a personal statement? lol :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Medikit said:
Thanks, I'll use that in my personal statement

So would that be sarcasm good or sarcasm bad? lol

Members don't see this ad :)
monopolova said:
Does this make sense? There's not much I can do now since I already sent my p.s. in, but I was just wondering.

I was referring to the food usage of "serve" and "side" -- kind of a play on words -- but this has been lost on a lot of people. Gah. Perhaps a little too abstract for a personal statement? lol :confused:

yep, makes perfect sense! :thumbup:

monopolova said:

hahaha. im sorry that quote is just so twisted that it made me laugh out loud. i didnt know you were referring to food. one serious piece of advice: STAY AWAY FROM THE ABSTRACT. the adcoms will think youre looney or wont even bother to try to decipher what youre saying. worse yet, they could translate what your saying into something completely different. but it's just one quote, and if youre personal statement was clearer then i imagine that everything will be just fine.

It's a good quote, I wouldn't worry about it. If it made sense to you when you first wrote it and after your 35 proofreads, then it still makes sense. When I submitted my statement I obsessed about the last line which I felt needed a comma (and I had put it in) and it just made me insane. I think I was just freaking out from anxiety and so a year later, I tell you - relax and wait for the next stage: interviews!

A year from now your life will feel very different and you will be in somewhere ... :)

bewitched1081 said:
hahaha. im sorry that quote is just so twisted that it made me laugh out loud. i didnt know you were referring to food. one serious piece of advice: STAY AWAY FROM THE ABSTRACT. the adcoms will think youre looney or wont even bother to try to decipher what youre saying. worse yet, they could translate what your saying into something completely different. but it's just one quote, and if youre personal statement was clearer then i imagine that everything will be just fine.

:laugh: lol I hear you. Too late now. And to reply to OSU ACTON, I didn't mention food at all in my essay, but that's just the weird and freaky way I write sometimes. lol It's all good; you guys made me laugh. :thumbup:

Thanks all!

it's corny. I get it. But I don't like it.

monopolova said:

From Merriam-Wester Online:

side
12 : a side order or dish <a side of fries>
- on the side 1 : in addition to the main portion 2 : in addition to a principal occupation
- this side of : short of : ALMOST <an attitude just this side of scandalous>

But don't try to prove it on site to any dear adcom . Just let them know what you mean during the interview, when needed.

I am wondering who reviews your PS for adcoms though? Is there any way to estimate that person's ability in MCAT verbal and WS, both now and then? Don't tell me that they hire pros to review it just like some of us though. :eek: :scared:

ha! i got the connection between main course and side dish, but the connection from medicine to inquiry just doesn't lend itself to the same connection, to me. i hope the adcoms like it, it sounds a bit strained to me.

junathon said:
ha! i got the connection between main course and side dish, but the connection from medicine to inquiry just doesn't lend itself to the same connection, to me. i hope the adcoms like it, it sounds a bit strained to me.

Yeah, it's kind of out of context; it is the second to last sentence of a paragraph. Thus, there is an experience lead in before and a further tie in after this sentence. Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So your main course is not only bringing itself to the table, but also bringing along a side dish? Or is does medicine really like eating inquiry (in addition to its main course) but can never find a waiter?

mikeyboy said:
So your main course is not only bringing itself to the table, but also bringing along a side dish? Or is does medicine really like eating inquiry (in addition to its main course) but can never find a waiter?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: lol Too funny.

they are going to ban you from med school just for saying that

mikeyboy said:

Actually these things are exactly what your sentence suggests. And my intuition tells me that the idea you're really trying to convey has not occurred just since your "early youth" but rather has been the case for thousands of years. Sorry to be harsh, but I don't like it.

How does a meal serve itself with a side of anything? A meal can't serve itself, so the analogy really doesn't make any sense. I mean, I doubt anyone is going to care, they'll probably just have a little chuckle. Your PS serves itself with a side of unintentional comedy.

Makes sense but probably should have written it that way.

exactly. just keep your fingers crossed.

and at least the line wasn't something like "medicine is all that, and inquiry is a bag of chips. *snap*"

It?s not so much abstract as awkward. Oh well.

willthatsall said:
How does a meal serve itself with a side of anything? A meal can't serve itself, so the analogy really doesn't make any sense. I mean, I doubt anyone is going to care, they'll probably just have a little chuckle. Your PS serves itself with a side of unintentional comedy.

Well, I personally saw medicine as an entity that served itself to me via my many experiences; I completely agree that it may be a little too much to pack into one sentence, especially for a p.s. But, oh well, I had a laugh with it after reading what you all have posted (I hope you had a laugh, too), and, hopefully you are right that perhaps they'll also have a chuckle. After all, I'd rather have given them something cohesive, memorable, and creative (I am confident with the rest of my statement) than simply dump a resume in front of them.

I also thought about it, and now I really doubt they analyze these things so thoroughly (there are just too many). I suspect that our statements are indeed read completely, but they are also simply scanned for coherence and relevent experiences and insights into what medicine is and why we want to be physicians. The statement is basically one part used to gather interviewees. I think that if you can't prove yourself in your interview, it doesn't matter how great your statement is.

Even so, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes he could get his app back. lol

Thanks all. :thumbup:

monopolova said:
Well, I personally saw medicine as an entity that served itself to me via my many experiences; I completely agree that it may be a little too much to pack into one sentence, especially for a p.s. But, oh well, I had a laugh with it after reading what you all have posted (I hope you had a laugh, too), and, hopefully you are right that perhaps they'll also have a chuckle. After all, I'd rather have given them something cohesive, memorable, and creative (I am confident with the rest of my statement) than simply dump a resume in front of them.

I also thought about it, and now I really doubt they analyze these things so thoroughly (there are just too many). I suspect that our statements are indeed read completely, but they are also simply scanned for coherence and relevent experiences and insights into what medicine is and why we want to be physicians. The statement is basically one part used to gather interviewees. I think that if you can't prove yourself in your interview, it doesn't matter how great your statement is.

Even so, I'm sure I'm not the only one who wishes he could get his app back. lol

Thanks all. :thumbup:

Absolutely, the worst they will do is think it's kind of funny. Think about all the stuff they are going to be looking at when reviewing your application, that one sentence isn't going to matter.

can medicine give something to you if you've never practiced it?

i THINK DAT QUTOE MADE TEH SENCE GUD

:thumbup: Nah, I got it man....I think it's okay! :thumbup:

I am currently waiting for acceptances and thinking about applying again so I visited UM's reapplicant web site and the Director of admissions clearly states his oposition to any type of quotes is personal statements, he advices against it as a possible reason for not getting an interview.

Just something to think about....

paranitroxide said:
I am currently waiting for acceptances and thinking about applying again so I visited UM's reapplicant web site and the Director of admissions clearly states his oposition to any type of quotes is personal statements, he advices against it as a possible reason for not getting an interview.

Just something to think about....

Well, I wrote the statement that many fine folks here at SDN have taken the time to attempt to understand.

But it's an interesting point anyway ... did anybody use a quote in their statements? I actually read that it's a good thing to do.

Thanks! :thumbup:

Medicine served herself to me even before I was born. Just like all other of her services, she possessed a physician to wait on me. Beware! Medicine intends to possess every premed too. As a matter of fact, she can posses anyone including patients.

Like it or not, inquiry is always the favorite side that medicine likes to serve. It doesn?t have to be absolutely pertinent to the arts and sciences of medicine. Something like the followings will do: ? If Mono would have a chance to take his PS back, how would he redo it? Would he just delete the controversial sentence or would he have to rewrite part or the whole new PS?

Lives inevitably become more complicated when medicine serves itself.

Hey calcrew for some inexplicable reason I find your post hilarious.... It might just be because you are crazy, sorry I meant becase I am crazy...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

paranitroxide said:
Hey calcrew for some inexplicable reason I find your post hilarious.... It might just be because you are crazy, sorry I meant becase I am crazy...
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thanks,
I bet that you have someone named Nitrousoxide reading my post with you. :D

calcrew14 said:
If Mono would have a chance to take his PS back, how would he redo it? Would he just delete the controversial sentence or would he have to rewrite part or the whole new PS?

Lives inevitably become more complicated when medicine serves itself.

lmao :laugh: :laugh:

He would rewrite or delete the sentence because his ps is a nutritious literary meal without it. ;)

Seriously, I would have written: Medicine has thus, from my early youth, PROVED A SOURCE OF inquiry. Or, I could've just deleted it; it wasn't that important. My ps was quite substantive; I am quite fortunate (depending on how you look at it) to have a ton of medical experience in my life. Thus, I focused on those experiences that led me to my current path. The "controversial sentence" is a drop in the bucket compared to my entire statement.

Anyways, I truly appreciate the post; hilarious. :thumbup: :D

monopolova said:
Medicine has thus, from my early youth, PROVED A SOURCE OF inquiry. : :D
Holy hit!, that's what I think the original statement in your PS means, on the basis of that single sentence alone. So it shouldn't make any difference. If I can do it, adcoms can too. Unless someone was in an antagonistic mode of minuscom instead, of course! :smuggrin:

Hope that you can see how serious I am this time.