Does this sound like a good idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Keshia

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but I'm gonna ask anyway! ;)

I'm not sure if I want to be a CNM or an OB/GYN. So I thought that maybe I should get my Bachelor's in Nursing and until then decide what I want to do. If I want to become a CNM, I'll just have to do the 2 extra years to get my Master's in Midwifery and if I decide I want to be an OB/GYN then I'll have my BSN so I can go on to med school. That way it won't seem like I "wasted" any years of school. Plus I'll be working in the hospital as a L&D nurse so that would be good experience.

Today I talked to the CNM I used for my own pregnancy 2 years ago and I'm going to shadow her since hands-on experience would help me with my decision more than reading about the two professions. I'm also going to see if I can shadow an OB/GYN.

So I guess my question is, does that sound like a good idea? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like an okay idea to me. Realize however that just because you have your BSN doesn't mean you'll be ready to apply to med school when you're done--quite the opposite, as most nursing programs will require you to take different sciences than the pre-med ones, and with nursing clinicals you probably won't have time to take the extra prerequisite classes you'll need for med school. For instance, nursing students usually take a year of condensed chemistry rather than the two years of general and organic required for most med schools, and no or very little physics. There are direct-entry midwifery programs that will allow you to enter and obtain your CNM in 3 years if you have a bachelor's, so this may be an option too (get your BA or BS with all the pre-med reqs, then you could apply to either med school or direct entry programs when you're done). However, there are fewer of the direct entry programs and I think they are more competitive. If you are leaning more one way or the other now, maybe you could let that guide your decision. The BSN route has other advantages, like a stable job available to you right away once you're done; just be aware that you'll have to spend an extra year or two afterwards if you do decide to apply to medical school rather than CNM programs. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for your reply! I guess it'd be better to decide within the next year then.