Does timing of MBA matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ScroogeMcDuckz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I will be pursuing my MBA at some point, and I'm currently enrolled at a school that has a MD/MBA path, although it isn't a top 5 school, it has a respectable brand.

Are there any benefits for doing an MBA in a 5 year program instead of doing a fellowship after residency? Many programs that I've researched have an "administration" fellowship where you get paid, work a couple of days a month, and also get an MBA after 1 year. Essentially, are there benefits of having an MBA during 4th year/residency?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I know I will be pursuing my MBA at some point, and I'm currently enrolled at a school that has a MD/MBA path, although it isn't a top 5 school, it has a respectable brand.

Are there any benefits for doing an MBA in a 5 year program instead of doing a fellowship after residency? Many programs that I've researched have an "administration" fellowship where you get paid, work a couple of days a month, and also get an MBA after 1 year. Essentially, are there benefits of having an MBA during 4th year/residency?

Thank you very much!

What programs have this fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
Cornell offers a fellowship, where they will pay for the MBA program as part of the fellowship program.
Healthcare Leadership and Management | Emergency Medicine

So the main difference appears to be financial (getting it paid for while working opposed to paying/getting scholarships while still in school). Are there any differences in career prospects i.e. will the fellowships be able to place you in better positions due to their connections in the industry vs you having to put yourself out there more if you pursued the degree earlier?

So the main difference appears to be financial (getting it paid for while working opposed to paying/getting scholarships while still in school). Are there any differences in career prospects i.e. will the fellowships be able to place you in better positions due to their connections in the industry vs you having to put yourself out there more if you pursued the degree earlier?

It really depends on what you plan to do with your MBA degree. Do you know what you would like to do with the MBA degree? If you get your MBA degree during fellowship (such as Yale and Cornell programs), you are enrolled in an executive MBA program, where you will exposed to and network with classmates that have decent amount of work experience and some with executive level experience. If you enrolled in MD/MBA program, one would traditionally be enrolled in a traditional MBA program, where the classmates will tend to have less work experience. Of course, there will be some experienced and executive level students in the regular traditional full time MBA program, such has Harvard Business School since they don't have an executive MBA program. The executive MBA programs usually have a different focus than a traditional full time MBA program. If you are hoping to use the MBA degree after your medicine training to go into Investment Banking, then you should enroll in traditional full time MBA program (part of MD/MBA program) since you will need that valuable internship to get into Investment Banking. Executive MBA programs do have not internship built in and most of the executive MBA program do not allow you to specialize since they are a lock step program. Of course, you can take electives in the executive MBA program.