Does tutoring kids (for free) music look good on applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masterplayer1000

Reaction score
I tutor less fortunate kids for free in my community center. I give them lessons for free, help them with school performances, and even loan out my own instruments for them to use so that they can pursue music in school if they can't afford one.

The only thing that I am concerned about is the fact that I am teaching music. I also teach kids of immigrants English, as I was also asked if I could by the parents ( I always said yes) and multiple other subjects. However, music is what I try to teach others the most because it's what helped me the most in my life, and I feel so sad when kids can not even be given a chance to see if they like it or not because of their financial situation.

Would be viewed as less important than my English, or math tutoring by those who are reviewing my application?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm no adcom but I think I'd be more impressed by you teaching music than math or science. You can definitely list all 3 though, it's not just one or the other. If I were interviewing you I'd definitely ask more about the music tutoring though.

I tutor less fortunate kids for free in my community center. I give them lessons for free, help them with school performances, and even loan out my own instruments for them to use so that they can pursue music in school if they can't afford one.

The only thing that I am concerned about is the fact that I am teaching music. I also teach kids of immigrants English, as I was also asked if I could by the parents ( I always said yes) and multiple other subjects. However, music is what I try to teach others the most because it's what helped me the most in my life, and I feel so sad when kids can not even be given a chance to see if they like it or not because of their financial situation.

Would be viewed as less important than my English, or math tutoring by those who are reviewing my application?
Yup; definitely a good thing. Anything helping the underprivileged is a good thing.

Reactions: 1 users

Tutoring others is always looked at well. It means you have dedicated your time to learning something at such a level that you can pass it on to others. Highly applicable to doctoring.

As for music, in some ways it is even better. It stands out and is interesting. I did one of my undergrad research projects in astrochemistry and it caught eyes even though it was a pretty standard project analogous to the other bio/biochem projects of the world.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutor

Reactions: 1 user