Does UIW Feik School of Pharmacy really have a bad reputation?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by beedray26, Apr 21, 2016.

1. beedray26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I recently got accepted to Feik and plan to attend this fall. I researched on threads for alumni and students attending that can speak about the school but I was hit with so many posts about the school being defined as a "diploma mill" and with post saying my job outlook would be bleak because I did not go to a top 10 or even top 50 school. There is a lot of negativity about this school and it makes me a little worried. I do Pharmacy because I love it and really don't care what is said but I think the precerption of the school should change. It should really matter what rank you are as long as you are committed. I started this posts in hopes of people speaking truly about Feik and not for people that do not just say things about the school and the ranking. I really want to hear from alumni and students attending. Thank You!

egyptianmau121 likes this.
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Biochemistry2014

Medical Student
    Never heard of it.

4. egyptianmau121

2+ Year Member

Same situation, I'm pretty worried too...

5. beedray26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    It's in San Antonio, TX. It's the University of the Incarnate Word, a private school.

6. beedray26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    So your class of 2020. Me too. I thought I was the only one. I haven't really heard from many alumni that can attest to the school. I feel like Pharmacy School is challenging wherever you go but I just don't want it to affect my chances of job placement or anything or most importantly leave me unprepared.

7. egyptianmau121

2+ Year Member

#6 egyptianmau121, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  8. beedray26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    That's how I feel too. Regardless of wherever you go establishing connections is key and that's what has to be done. I've heard rotations is where you establish many of those connections. I think our school will definitely prepare us the hardest part is using it in a practical way. I kinda made this post to address this and let people know that our school isn't a terrible school. I feel like in most cases it's how much effort you put into into that determines the outcome as you mentioned.

9. RxHEB14

Pharmacist
    beedray26- I graduated from this "diploma mill" in 2014. During my 4 years there, I was surrounded by teachers who cared/challenged you. It is a stand alone pharmacy school which is part of Incarnate Word. I was in the top percent of my class and had no problems passing both the NAPLEX and MPJE. To speak to the "reputation" I don't know what people are saying, frankly I could give two sh*ts. I graduated, got licensed and made a name for myself. Within a year I was managing a retail pharmacy. If you have questions, shoot them to me. I know its not solicited advice, but get into school and graduate before there are no more jobs!

emilrats likes this.
  10. beedray26

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Well I'm planning on doing residency so that's my only concern with it being a small school. I wasn't trying to attack the school I just simply pointed out some of the negativity I've seen. But anyway thanks for the advice.

11. Amicable Angora

Amicable Angora Lagomorpha
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Be aware that the name of a school does have an impact on applying to post graduate programs. This is not so much of an issue for a standard job search. Do not expect to be chosen for a residency program if you do not have stellar qualifications, especially if you are gunning for well established programs and/or in desired locations. With the way the pharmacy market is, they essentially hold all the cards, and they can instantly disqualify you simply based upon unfamiliarity with your school.