Does UIW Feik School of Pharmacy really have a bad reputation?

Started by beedray26
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beedray26

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I recently got accepted to Feik and plan to attend this fall. I researched on threads for alumni and students attending that can speak about the school but I was hit with so many posts about the school being defined as a "diploma mill" and with post saying my job outlook would be bleak because I did not go to a top 10 or even top 50 school. There is a lot of negativity about this school and it makes me a little worried. I do Pharmacy because I love it and really don't care what is said but I think the precerption of the school should change. It should really matter what rank you are as long as you are committed. I started this posts in hopes of people speaking truly about Feik and not for people that do not just say things about the school and the ranking. I really want to hear from alumni and students attending. Thank You!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Same situation, I'm pretty worried too...
So your class of 2020. Me too. I thought I was the only one. I haven't really heard from many alumni that can attest to the school. I feel like Pharmacy School is challenging wherever you go but I just don't want it to affect my chances of job placement or anything or most importantly leave me unprepared.
 
At my interview I asked a question about the pharmacy job market issue. One of my interviewers is a last year pharmacy school student and she said she already has a job lined up for her! So I think it really depends on how much energy you put into your job search while in school (get involved in one of their frats, do well in rotations...). So I don't think our job market is completely doomed. There's still some hope some of us could have a job before we graduate 🙂


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
That's how I feel too. Regardless of wherever you go establishing connections is key and that's what has to be done. I've heard rotations is where you establish many of those connections. I think our school will definitely prepare us the hardest part is using it in a practical way. I kinda made this post to address this and let people know that our school isn't a terrible school. I feel like in most cases it's how much effort you put into into that determines the outcome as you mentioned.
 
I recently got accepted to Feik and plan to attend this fall. I researched on threads for alumni and students attending that can speak about the school but I was hit with so many posts about the school being defined as a "diploma mill" and with post saying my job outlook would be bleak because I did not go to a top 10 or even top 50 school. There is a lot of negativity about this school and it makes me a little worried. I do Pharmacy because I love it and really don't care what is said but I think the precerption of the school should change. It should really matter what rank you are as long as you are committed. I started this posts in hopes of people speaking truly about Feik and not for people that do not just say things about the school and the ranking. I really want to hear from alumni and students attending. Thank You!

beedray26- I graduated from this "diploma mill" in 2014. During my 4 years there, I was surrounded by teachers who cared/challenged you. It is a stand alone pharmacy school which is part of Incarnate Word. I was in the top percent of my class and had no problems passing both the NAPLEX and MPJE. To speak to the "reputation" I don't know what people are saying, frankly I could give two sh*ts. I graduated, got licensed and made a name for myself. Within a year I was managing a retail pharmacy. If you have questions, shoot them to me. I know its not solicited advice, but get into school and graduate before there are no more jobs!
 
beedray26- I graduated from this "diploma mill" in 2014. During my 4 years there, I was surrounded by teachers who cared/challenged you. It is a stand alone pharmacy school which is part of Incarnate Word. I was in the top percent of my class and had no problems passing both the NAPLEX and MPJE. To speak to the "reputation" I don't know what people are saying, frankly I could give two sh*ts. I graduated, got licensed and made a name for myself. Within a year I was managing a retail pharmacy. If you have questions, shoot them to me. I know its not solicited advice, but get into school and graduate before there are no more jobs!
Well I'm planning on doing residency so that's my only concern with it being a small school. I wasn't trying to attack the school I just simply pointed out some of the negativity I've seen. But anyway thanks for the advice.
 
Well I'm planning on doing residency so that's my only concern with it being a small school. I wasn't trying to attack the school I just simply pointed out some of the negativity I've seen. But anyway thanks for the advice.

Be aware that the name of a school does have an impact on applying to post graduate programs. This is not so much of an issue for a standard job search. Do not expect to be chosen for a residency program if you do not have stellar qualifications, especially if you are gunning for well established programs and/or in desired locations. With the way the pharmacy market is, they essentially hold all the cards, and they can instantly disqualify you simply based upon unfamiliarity with your school.