does undergrad degree type matter?

Started by bluelamin
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bluelamin

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is there a difference between how BA/AB (bachelor of arts) vs BS (bachelor of science) is viewed for mstp admissions?
 
I mean a BA won't stop one from getting into an MSTP program provided you meet all the other pre-reqs. The BS (at least w/ the life and physical sciences) usually has a few more course requirements and an undergrad thesis research component which IMO is a good thing.
 
I disagree with eteshoe.

This is a non-issue. I had a BA FWIW.

Nobody really cares what courses you take with your science major unless you go to extremes (part-time schedule, lots of odd/irrelevant courses).

I think an undergrad thesis is a waste of time. What you need to be doing is getting more hands on lab experience. Ideally, you can put out first author peer-reviewed work from the lab.