Does what school you go to matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleazye

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in doing something besides retail and was wondering if what school you go to matters. I already applied for this fall. I have good stats but I applied too late to get into some of the big name schools and have a good chance at getting a private school. Should I pass up an acceptance to a school witha lesser reputation or wait till I have my degree this fall and reapply to high ranked schools early? Do you really get that much more at a prestigious school?

Members don't see this ad.

No I would start school if you got into a program that you like. Don't worry about the name of the school. In the long run, it isn't going to have too much of a difference. Plus you aren't certain that you will get into any of these schools for next year. You'd be wasting a whole year.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks, good advice. anyone else?

I agree with Karm12...keep your gpa as high as you can, which should help open up more doors after graduation. I'd start now too but that's your call.

You gotta do a little research about schools to know if they are "good" or not. In my opinion, any pharmacy school in the country is just as good as any other one. However, i'm going to use UH as an example. UH isn't considered a "big name" school by any means, however we have some of the best graduate programs in the country (Hotel and Restraunt Management, Bauer College of Business, UH Law School, Pharmacy School, etc.) Don't let a name fool you.

If the school is accredited, then it's good enough. A pharmD is a pharmD, when we're in such high demand, neh?

I'm wondering if the bigger, more well known schools have better residency opportunities? Other people on the forum have talked about bigger universities having better connections. ZPacksux also mentioned something in another thread about people recognizing USC's program and the difference in their rotations from other schools.

My school isn't a big name school, but we still have great rotation sites. We do rotations at Northwestern, Rush, and Loyola...which are some of the best medical centers in Chicago and also at the VA's in the area. We have clinical faculty at these sites.

It kind of depends on the school and its location. Being close to Chicago, there are plenty of places to do rotations. We don't compete too much with UIC students for rotation sites since they have their own medical center. If your school is located in an area where there aren't too many good medical centers or hospitals...then you might be at a disadvantage because of the limited number of sites. There is a definite difference in doing rotations at large teaching hospitals compared to small community hospitals. Pharmacists have a more expanded roles and are in more specialty areas at the big hospitals.

UH has rotation connections in the Texas Medical Center. If that isn't good enough for you, nothing is.