Does your degree matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShaunB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I'm sure this is a pretty common question but I read around and couldn't find that much info. Does your degree really matter when you apply to med school?

I keep putting off school because I really don't know what I want to do for sure. My number one choice would be to be a Cardiologist, but I'm afraid that I will go to school, get my degree in Biology, then apply to med school and get rejected. There aren't many jobs that I'm interested in that would involve a degree in Biology. My advisor said to get a degree in whatever I want, and that Med Schools don't care as long as I have all the necessary requirements, how true is this? For example, If I get a degree in History, but i complete all necessary courses for the MCAT and for Med School, will it matter that my degree is in History if I have a 4.0GPA, and a 45 MCAT? Sorry if this is a really milked question but its my education and I want to do it right!

Members don't see this ad.

While some schools might appreciate the science degree, it (probably) largely will not matter as long as you nail the pre-reqs (or do pretty alright and take some upper level science courses).

I double majored in biology and a social science. My biology major has not come up in an interview (aside from my research project), but the social science always prompts a discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)
degree doesn't matter, do what you want, like what you do. As long as you cover your pre-med reqs, do well in school, and score well on the MCAT. And good ECs

Major in something that truly interests you. It will make your life easier and more enjoyable in every way.

Schools want diversity. Non-science majors actually get in w/ lower GPAs (but <1 pt higher MCAT scores). Basically, it doesn't matter what you major in. You just have to do well (i.e., 3.6+).

TooMuchResearch is accurate (and some of the others):

Major doesn't matter as long as you do well (GPA, MCAT) and it is a rigorous subject.

A "non biology" subject for major has several advantages:
1) it makes you more interesting and academically diverse
2) if you love the subject, you are more likely to excel and do really well
3) it gives you a backup plan, say an "other than medicine" career -- thus you will be more relaxed and also more likely to do well (thus increasing your chances of getting one of the well coveted places in med school).
4) you meet more people who are not those irritating pre-meds who would do everything to get an A (I find this a total turn off).
5) research and study abroad opportunities give you the option to stand out among the "traditional run of the mill pre-meds".
6) combining your major with your interest in medicine could hatch some pretty unique EC activities:
economics: fund raiser for a medical mission.
languages: translator in a clinic
psychology: helpline volunteer
(art) history: guide for special needs (at a museum, etc.)
music: assistant to occupational therapist, starting music lessons for long-term patients (psych and other)
architecture: habitat for humanity for disabled future home-owner (working on access issues)

Do something you enjoy, you'll have more fun and do better with less effort. Enjoy college!

Last edited:
Alright, I'm sure this is a pretty common question but I read around and couldn't find that much info. Does your degree really matter when you apply to med school?

I keep putting off school because I really don't know what I want to do for sure. My number one choice would be to be a Cardiologist, but I'm afraid that I will go to school, get my degree in Biology, then apply to med school and get rejected. There aren't many jobs that I'm interested in that would involve a degree in Biology. My advisor said to get a degree in whatever I want, and that Med Schools don't care as long as I have all the necessary requirements, how true is this? For example, If I get a degree in History, but i complete all necessary courses for the MCAT and for Med School, will it matter that my degree is in History if I have a 4.0GPA, and a 45 MCAT? Sorry if this is a really milked question but its my education and I want to do it right!

Major in anything as long as you have a decent science background

Major in whatever floats your boat, but some UG majors are more flexible and have more elective hours available to you to take the science pre reqs for med school which account for between 2 and 3 semesters of hours...

Lib arts degrees are especially easy to work around.

And you can always get your degree in whatever, then do a post bacc. That is what I did, and I recommend it highly.

OP, if you can get the 4.0 gpa and 45 MCAT you mentioned, then you will be good to go, so major in anything that you want.

OP, if you can get the 4.0 gpa and 45 MCAT you mentioned, then you will be good to go, so major in anything that you want.

Haha well that was an example but maybe thats what i should do, get a degree in something "Easy" and spend the next 4 years studying for the MCAT.

Simple answer is "no" it does not matter; however, one is usually prepared better for MCAT and med school as a Bio major. Hence, why most premeds are Bio majors..

Do well in prereqs and all will be fine with a strong MCAT and GPA along with some ECs....

I know that I've answered this question about half a dozen times personally, but the search function is sorta tricky (google 'site:studentdoctor' is a better route)

On Choosing a Major
(follow these three rules, in this order)

• Do something interesting to you, because you're the one who has to do it
  • Diversity in majors is good, so if you're interested in something rare among pre-meds, all the better
  • Whatever you choose, you'll still need to get your premed requirements done, which is why there are so many chemistry and bio majors hitting two birds with one stone

If you can ace all your science courses, a non-science major will be fine. But, if you can't, then a science major will benefit you because you have greater opportunity to stabilize your BCPM GPA.