Does Your Major in Graduate School Aid Your Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EPRaine777

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a GPA of 3.4 as an undergrad, and would like to pursue a graduate degree to increase my competitiveness with my MCAT applications. I am caught between two majors that I am both interested in, Neuroscience (2 year course) or Biotechnology (1 year course). My concern is also the time. If I graduate with biotech, I can start medical school faster, and start my career faster hopefully. However, I wonder if medical schools would consider my application more if I graduated with a masters in Neuroscience vs. a masters in Biotech, although honestly speaking, my interests does gravitate more to neuroscience. I appreciate any feedback I can get, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

No one will care. The grades in grad programs are always considered inflated because most average around 3.5 for all students (sometimes higher) which is much higher than you'll see in undergrad degree programs Consequently, you need to be up around 3.8 or higher and even then your undergrad and MCAT are a better "head to head" comparison with other applicants and will carry more weight.

Be able to say why the masters was important to you and how you intend to incorporate it into your career. If you can't do that, it sounds like a waste of 1-2 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone, I have a GPA of 3.4 as an undergrad, and would like to pursue a graduate degree to increase my competitiveness with my MCAT applications. I am caught between two majors that I am both interested in, Neuroscience (2 year course) or Biotechnology (1 year course). My concern is also the time. If I graduate with biotech, I can start medical school faster, and start my career faster hopefully. However, I wonder if medical schools would consider my application more if I graduated with a masters in Neuroscience vs. a masters in Biotech, although honestly speaking, my interests does gravitate more to neuroscience. I appreciate any feedback I can get, thank you!
We don't care about majors, only that you do well.