Does your major matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J_shep75

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay this might have already been asked but I just wanted clarification. I am fairly new to the forums but have been reading around a bit for a couple weeks. I am still just getting into my undergrad career just starting my spring of sophomore year. I am an ex-athlete with a huge interest in the musculoskeletal system and such. Which has me hoping to hopefully match into ortho in the years to come. My question is that I am on track for a BS in kinesiology ex: Exercise physiology, and was wondering if that would be looked on negatively compared to all of the bio majors and such. If I am repeating a previous post I apologize and thank you in advance for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

This is probably the most frequently asked question within the pre-med forums. It is important that you understand this: YOUR MAJOR DOESN'T MATTER AT ALL FOR MED SCHOOL ADMISSIONS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay thank you! I assumed that was the case but I just wanted to verify, I know no matter your major everyone takes the same prereqs, ochem 1&2 etc. but I didn't know for sure if my other classes being biomechanics instead of botany or some other upper level bio class would matter.

Okay thank you! I assumed that was the case but I just wanted to verify, I know no matter your major everyone takes the same prereqs, ochem 1&2 etc. but I didn't know for sure if my other classes being biomechanics instead of botany or some other upper level bio class would matter.

Take whatever interests you and do well, that's all the matters. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed! I was a Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies major because that really interested me. Totally unrelated to the sciences, but I was accepted. I have a friend who was a Cinema Studies major, one that did East Asian studies, several that majored in Economics, a few that did Anthropology, etc. Major in something that you're passionate about and it'll make college much more enjoyable. Just do well in your science classes and you'll be good!

Side note: my major was actually a topic of conversation at almost all of my interviews. My interviewers were very interested in why I decided to be an MEIS major and I think it really stood out to them on the application! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
The only thing that matters is that you keep your GPA up, score well on your mcat, and get out into the world and do something. All schools, whether its MD or DO, want to see a well rounded person. A doctor that has see more to the world then whats under a microscope is one that will be able to relate to a wide variety of patients. In addition, volunteering helps you and the admissions committee see that you actually want to work with humans. Many ppl go into medicine thinking its something that its not. Lastly, enjoy your undergrad and stop worrying so much! Life is too short and nothing is out of reach. Do what you love and love what you do.

To add a personal touch....I majored in Athletic Training. I worked for a bit and then went back to school to finish all the basic sciences. I was accepted to several DO schools. I know this is a n=1 situation but I hope that it shows that the major doesn't matter.

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing that matters is that you keep your GPA up, score well on your mcat, and get out into the world and do something. All schools, whether its MD or DO, want to see a well rounded person. A doctor that has see more to the world then whats under a microscope is one that will be able to relate to a wide variety of patients. In addition, volunteering helps you and the admissions committee see that you actually want to work with humans. Many ppl go into medicine thinking its something that its not. Lastly, enjoy your undergrad and stop worrying so much! Life is too short and nothing is out of reach. Do what you love and love what you do.

To add a personal touch....I majored in Athletic Training. I worked for a bit and then went back to school to finish all the basic sciences. I was accepted to several DO schools. I know this is a n=1 situation but I hope that it shows that the major doesn't matter.

Would studying abroad during a gap year look bad or would that fall into being well rounded because that is something I've always wanted to do before going into the rigors of med school.

I majored in human biology because pre-med.

Originally was going to major in Music Composition or Bioinformatics. Do I regret it not choosing them? Nah. I got a very solid foundation for medical school since many of the undergrad courses (such as pharmacology, biochem, immunology, and endocrinology) are taught by faculty that currently or previously teach at the medical school.

Would studying abroad during a gap year look bad or would that fall into being well rounded because that is something I've always wanted to do before going into the rigors of med school.
I think it would depend on where you study and what you do while you are there. Having a second language is HUGE so if you study abroad for french, spanish, or w/e then it could be very good. If you just take a blow off class to be somewhere pretty then I don't think it would benefit your resume. It wont hurt you it just wont help.

We do not care what your major or minor is, only that you do well in them.

Okay this might have already been asked but I just wanted clarification. I am fairly new to the forums but have been reading around a bit for a couple weeks. I am still just getting into my undergrad career just starting my spring of sophomore year. I am an ex-athlete with a huge interest in the musculoskeletal system and such. Which has me hoping to hopefully match into ortho in the years to come. My question is that I am on track for a BS in kinesiology ex: Exercise physiology, and was wondering if that would be looked on negatively compared to all of the bio majors and such. If I am repeating a previous post I apologize and thank you in advance for any responses.

I am a kinesiology major too and have an acceptance. One of the few Kinesiology majors at my schools who went pre-med rather than pre-pt. Also I am ahead of most of the bio majors who take less classes per semester because the work is too hard for them.

Spanish/Global Studies double major who wanted nothing to do with premed when I was an undergrad. Didn't matter

I am a kinesiology major too and have an acceptance. One of the few Kinesiology majors at my schools who went pre-med rather than pre-pt. Also I am ahead of most of the bio majors who take less classes per semester because the work is too hard for them.

First of all congratulations on your acceptance, if you don't mind me asking what were your stats to give me a decent idea of where I stand, also did you have any extraordinary ECs or anything that you think made your app stand out.

This thread could have been closed after Goro gave his opinion...but since it is still open, I will throw this out there:

I am a Biology major and am happy that I did it. It has nothing to do with the degree itself and more to do with the people who you surround yourself with. From the very beginning of undergrad I met friends that I can say with certainty that if it wasn't for them I would never never sniffed medical school. Surrounding yourself with a support group filled with people of a common goal is incredibly helpful...especially for a guy who had no clue about how to get into medicine. Also...Biology, at least at my school, was incredibly challenging. Could I have done a little better on my MCAT or had a higher GPA if I would have gone with a humanities major? Sure. But I can say this much...I was very prepared for the rigors of medical school. Medical school was difficult but I never felt overwhelmed with the situation. I honestly thought that undergrad while working was more difficult than medical school. There was essentially no adjustment period for me.

OP...if you like the musculoskeletal system you should look into PM&R. It is something that took me three years in medical school before I learned it existed. Going through medical school I was luke warm about practicing medicine until I discovered PM&R.

Last edited: