Does your residency have a union?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yokid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, how strong is it, and does it provide what you want/need from it?

My current residency (New York Hospital-weill cornell) supposedly bans formation of unions, but the sister hospital (and basically the same institution, New York hospital-columbia) has a union.

It has been discussed with the gme office,which understandably is opposed to it, but i feel that we can have our voice heard much more soundly without having to resort to reporting to the RRC and risking putting our residency on prohbation.

Members don't see this ad.

You are in nyc. So you are talking about CIR. I did residency at SLR and initially had reservations about being mandated to join. However, CIR did amazing things for our hospital residents.

They negotiated salary increases, increased food stipends, lower subsidized rent, money for patient care funds (where residents pick where the money goes). They also negotiated better insurance when our hospital tried to cut it down.

They are one of the reasons that SLR has one of the highest GME salaries in the country.

Don't underestimate the power that CIR can wield in your hospital. It unites ALL residents under some common goals.

I would recommend going to the CIR site and getting in touch with some of the NYC reps.

Here is a good link about intern/residency unions.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9903E1DA103FF933A05752C1A96F958260

My residency did not, but fellowship did. As roja says, its pretty amazing what CIR does...I donated a certain portion of my fellowship salary to their organization.

However, the chapters are few and far between outside of NY/NJ, although UNM chapter has been pretty active. I'd bet most residencies do not have a chapter nor a union.