Does your school determine your job outlook?

Started by whizzle
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

whizzle

Whizzle
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just wondering how much of your career prospects depend on the program you graduated from? I have heard great things about PCO's clinical program, but will that have any effect on what job opportunities you get? Has anyone heard anything about SCCO? Is it really true that it doesn't matter which school? In that case, I'd take the cheapest, but if it's worth it in the end, I'm willing shell out now. Also any opinions/reputation for ICO, PUCO, NOVA? Thanks y'all!😀
 
I'm just wondering how much of your career prospects depend on the program you graduated from? I have heard great things about PCO's clinical program, but will that have any effect on what job opportunities you get? Has anyone heard anything about SCCO? Is it really true that it doesn't matter which school? In that case, I'd take the cheapest, but if it's worth it in the end, I'm willing shell out now. Also any opinions/reputation for ICO, PUCO, NOVA? Thanks y'all!😀

No. It doesn't matter.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As long as you know how to flip them dials.

I'm just wondering how much of your career prospects depend on the program you graduated from? I have heard great things about PCO's clinical program, but will that have any effect on what job opportunities you get? Has anyone heard anything about SCCO? Is it really true that it doesn't matter which school? In that case, I'd take the cheapest, but if it's worth it in the end, I'm willing shell out now. Also any opinions/reputation for ICO, PUCO, NOVA? Thanks y'all!😀
 
Probably yes. Folks who have graduated from schools with great credentials or whose programs are well recognized, can get good offers. But, of course, the student's actual performance will also contribute.
 
Probably yes. Folks who have graduated from schools with great credentials or whose programs are well recognized, can get good offers. But, of course, the student's actual performance will also contribute.

I have to disagree. I believe that folks who know other folks get more offers (some good, some aite). I haven't seen anyone say "I wish I had gone to a better OD school.... so I could have gotten a better job".
 
I'm just wondering how much of your career prospects depend on the program you graduated from? I have heard great things about PCO's clinical program, but will that have any effect on what job opportunities you get? Has anyone heard anything about SCCO? Is it really true that it doesn't matter which school? In that case, I'd take the cheapest, but if it's worth it in the end, I'm willing shell out now. Also any opinions/reputation for ICO, PUCO, NOVA? Thanks y'all!😀

No, because Optometry schools do not have a ranking system like other professional programs. Who's to say PCO is better than Berkeley? Or PUCO is better than NOVA? Etc...