Does your UG affect your acceptance to residencies?

glowworm

inching along
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
oklahoma
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Ok, so i've read lots of places that going to an Ivy League won't make much difference on getting in to a professional school (pharmacy, dental, optometry,etc.) But does the professional school you go to affect if you can get into a certain residency? (say nuclear pharmacy or orthodontics) Do you have to go to a name brand UG school to get into a top professional school to specialize?
Like if I go to Podunk state U, then my state pharm (or dental) school, could I still get a residency if I want, provided I have the stats? And does the UG I go to affect how good of professional school I can get in to?

Sorry, lots of confusing question. I know its way too early to think about specialties, I just don't want to ruin my options for 8 years down the road if I need to get in to a better UG. Thanks!

KempDrumsalot

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2008
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
As far as I am aware, your UG school will not affect much. Your professional school may affect the residency/fellowships you can do though.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status
Ok, so i've read lots of places that going to an Ivy League won't make much difference on getting in to a professional school (pharmacy, dental, optometry,etc.) But does the professional school you go to affect if you can get into a certain residency? (say nuclear pharmacy or orthodontics) Do you have to go to a name brand UG school to get into a top professional school to specialize?
Like if I go to Podunk state U, then my state pharm (or dental) school, could I still get a residency if I want, provided I have the stats? And does the UG I go to affect how good of professional school I can get in to?

Sorry, lots of confusing question. I know its way too early to think about specialties, I just don't want to ruin my options for 8 years down the road if I need to get in to a better UG. Thanks!
UG-No

Med School-Yes. But this isn't always the case. There are med students from lesser medical schools that still can get into top residencies.

I'm going by what I have read on here so take it for what it's worth.

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Where you go for UG may have an effect on where you get into a professional school program at (although this may not be too significant). Where you go to professional school may have an effect on where you get into residency/fellowship training at (although, again, this may not be too significant). The reason why i say this effect may not be too significant is that people at Ivy League schools would probably have a better chance in either case when compared to an otherwise equal applicant from a state school, but there are still plenty of people attending state schools for both UG and professional school that get into competitive residency programs. However, based on your question it sounds like you're only asking how UG will affect your chances at residency/fellowship training. I'm not on any sort of admissions committee but I'm under the impression based on all I've read that its your most recent phase of education that is really the most important. With that said if you went to state school X for undergrad then got into a good professional school, the residency programs after you graduate from professional school probably aren't going to look back at the fact you went to state school X for UG and give you a bad "ranking." Its going to be where you went to professional school and how you performed there that really matters.

Terpskins99

Fear... The Stig
10+ Year Member
Mar 8, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Pick whatever place you feel you will be happiest and where you know you will succeed.

OP
glowworm

glowworm

inching along
10+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2008
oklahoma
Status
Ok thanks everybody! That helped a lot.

Ashers

Bacteria? Don't exist.
10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2006
Land of Entrapment
Status
Attending Physician
I'm pretty sure my undergrad helped me get ONE of my interviews. I'm an alumna, and I got an interview at the program at my institution.

However, that's really the only way that I can see it helping. Go wherever you want; have fun, and do well in your courses.

10+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2006
Status
Pharmacy Student

Not in pharm that I've heard of.

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status
Medical Student
The only fathomable way I could see it making a difference is if you luck out and encounter someone that went to the same school for undergrad. It actually did help a little for one of my interviews for medical schools. I went to a very large state school and one of my interviewers found out that is where I went. It just started a whole new wave of conversation centered around football, food, and other random things unique to the school. Would I bank on this? Hell no. It was just a freak thing and doubt much weight was put on it but it did lighten the mood of the interview.

Keep in mind to even stand the chance at getting that far, you have to wow them on paper to some degree anyway. Then you have to rely on the fraction of a percent the person gives a damn.