Dog Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabriel777

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone! I am normally a lurker and I haven't made a post in a while but I am in desperate need of some dog advice. I am currently a first year vet student and as you all must know am very busy. I was not planning on getting a dog because I knew I wouldn't have enough time to devote to it, but one day I was volunteering at the teaching hospital at my school and I fell in love with a retired racing greyhound that was being used as a blood donor. She was up for adoption, and the guy that managed the blood donor dogs assured me that she was extremely calm and would be the perfect dog for a vet student because greyhounds are usually couch potatoes and don't require a lot of exercise. So three days ago I brought her home, and it has not been going well.

Basically she pretty much paces the house whimpering all day long. I don't know if it's because she's still adjusting or if it's because she's bored, but I am feeling overwhelmed. While I am willing to go for walks and devote some time to playing every day, I am going to be in class all day next week and won't be able to entertain her all day. I feel extremely guilty for not being able to give her the attention she wants, but I have to spend the majority of my time studying and being in class. So my question is, should I give her back to the school and hope that someone else with enough time to devote to her will adopt her, or should I try to stick it out? Thank you to anyone who took the time to read this novel 🙂
 
It takes a while for dogs to adjust. I'm posting you a link; it is written by a pit bull rescue but really applies to any new adult dog.
We can't give behavior advice on this site but I do recommend giving your school's behavior department a call; they can give advice or meds to help with the adjustment as needed.

http://www.nhpbr.org/two_weeks.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.