Dog bites infant at pharmacy...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SpaceHamsterBoo

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In an alternate reality, what would be the consequences for all who are involved in the following scenario?

  • 2 year old infant is bitten on the mouth by a dog
  • Patient's parents/grandparents call a pharmacy asking for products to help heal the child's mangled and now profusely bleeding lip/mouth because they were afraid of taking the child to the E-room because of fear of child protective services confiscating the infant

Would the child be confiscated?
Would the dog be put down?
Will the parents be spayed/neutered?
 
In an alternate reality, what would be the consequences for all who are involved in the following scenario?

  • 2 year old infant is bitten on the mouth by a dog
  • Patient's parents/grandparents call a pharmacy asking for products to help heal the child's mangled and now profusely bleeding lip/mouth because they were afraid of taking the child to the E-room because of fear of child protective services confiscating the infant

Would the child be confiscated?
Would the dog be put down?
Will the parents be spayed/neutered?

Pharmacists are mandatory reporters in many jurisdictions, failure to report this could subject them liability and/or criminal prosecution.

CPS would conduct an investigation -- my opinion is that if it's found the parents/gparents did not seek treatment, that could be grounds for potential removal. A true accident wouldn't warrant it, but it depends.

Dog will probably be put down.

Persons are no longer forcibly castrated in the United States as it is a violation of the 8th Amendment (cruel and unusual punishment), so no, the parents will not be spayed/neutered.

These are only my opinions and are not to be construed as legal advice. Consult a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.
 
Pharmacists are mandatory reporters in many jurisdictions, failure to report this could subject them liability and/or criminal prosecution.

CPS would conduct an investigation -- my opinion is that if it's found the parents/gparents did not seek treatment, that could be grounds for potential removal. A true accident wouldn't warrant it, but it depends.

Dog will probably be put down.

Persons are no longer forcibly castrated in the United States as it is a violation of the 8th Amendment (cruel and unusual punishment), so no, the parents will not be spayed/neutered.

These are only my opinions and are not to be construed as legal advice. Consult a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Sir or Madame, do you mind if I flip this table'?
farm-table-4-0809-de.jpg
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would imagine CPS would be more upset that an injured child was neglected, rather than that a child was bitten by a dog.

Also remember, even if the bleeding stops, there's a huge infection risk with animal bites, so the child will need abx.
 
Yeah, save the dog and not get medical treatment for a child. I'm pretty sure I've seen parents like this.

As for the scenario, I'm not sure the pharmacist could make the call to CPS (if this really occurred). Remember, this is a phone call, and many pharmacies do not have caller ID. I would think the parents/grandparents would hang up if you asked "May I have your name?" or "What is your address?" What would you do? Call CPS and say "there is an infant who was bit by a dog in the mouth in the area and the parents/grandparents won't take him/her to the ER."

The best you can do is go down the scare tactic route and explain the dangers of not getting medical attention immediately. Ask if their dog is truly worth more to them than their child.
 
Pharmacists are mandatory reporters in many jurisdictions, failure to report this could subject them liability and/or criminal prosecution.

CPS would conduct an investigation -- my opinion is that if it's found the parents/gparents did not seek treatment, that could be grounds for potential removal. A true accident wouldn't warrant it, but it depends.

Dog will probably be put down.

Persons are no longer forcibly castrated in the United States as it is a violation of the 8th Amendment (cruel and unusual punishment), so no, the parents will not be spayed/neutered.

These are only my opinions and are not to be construed as legal advice. Consult a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.


Agreed. However, there are times when I think medical personnel reporting things to the authorities is too much, such as gunshot wounds. That's something that's been done here in NYC. If you walk into the hospital by yourself with a gunshot wound, they are gonna report it to NYPD. What happened to patient privacy?

That's how Plaxico Burress got busted. He had an illegal handgun that he was keeping inside his sweatpants waistband while he was at a club, it went off and he shot himself in the leg. If NY didn't have this policy with the hospitals, he probably wouldn't have spent 2 years in jail.
 
Agreed. However, there are times when I think medical personnel reporting things to the authorities is too much, such as gunshot wounds. That's something that's been done here in NYC. If you walk into the hospital by yourself with a gunshot wound, they are gonna report it to NYPD. What happened to patient privacy?

That's how Plaxico Burress got busted. He had an illegal handgun that he was keeping inside his sweatpants waistband while he was at a club, it went off and he shot himself in the leg. If NY didn't have this policy with the hospitals, he probably wouldn't have spent 2 years in jail.

Ur right...everyone who buys illegal handguns are all good. They would never use them for anything bad....oh wait, what? People tend to buy untraceable weapons for criminal intent.

If he had done what any normal person does when they want a gun...go buy one from the store. Then no one would have known, because no they cannot tell the press "oh this idiot shot himself." Thus your example is merely one of why this is a good thing, as now there is one less untraceable gun on the streets and some idiot lost a lot of money for buying one.
 
Ur right...everyone who buys illegal handguns are all good. They would never use them for anything bad....oh wait, what? People tend to buy untraceable weapons for criminal intent.

If he had done what any normal person does when they want a gun...go buy one from the store. Then no one would have known, because no they cannot tell the press "oh this idiot shot himself." Thus your example is merely one of why this is a good thing, as now there is one less untraceable gun on the streets and some idiot lost a lot of money for buying one.
They still would have told the police. The hospital wouldn't know if it was an illegal gun or a properly licensed one. They call the police, and then they can look up the records on the gun to figure it out. If it was legal, he wouldn't have gone to jail, but it would still have been a big news story that an NFL star shot himself.
 
Agreed. However, there are times when I think medical personnel reporting things to the authorities is too much, such as gunshot wounds. That's something that's been done here in NYC. If you walk into the hospital by yourself with a gunshot wound, they are gonna report it to NYPD. What happened to patient privacy?

That's how Plaxico Burress got busted. He had an illegal handgun that he was keeping inside his sweatpants waistband while he was at a club, it went off and he shot himself in the leg. If NY didn't have this policy with the hospitals, he probably wouldn't have spent 2 years in jail.

I'm struggling to think of a situation where a gunshot wound wouldn't require a police investigation. Friends don't just shoot each other in the leg because they have nothing better to do on a Friday night.
 
Growing up in small town America, I can't think of a time when a dog bit a child and wasn't put down.
 
I'm struggling to think of a situation where a gunshot wound wouldn't require a police investigation. Friends don't just shoot each other in the leg because they have nothing better to do on a Friday night.

Yeah, but the way they made the law regarding reporting of gunshot wounds. Assuming the person got the gunshot wound during an illegal activity such as a shootout between 2 gangs they have a choice of either:

A - Getting medical attention for the wound + going to jail.
B - Not getting medical attention and maybe dying.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had dog bite me when I was a child and the hellhound wasn't put down!!! 😡

Mr. Owle, I have never been bitten by a dog but I empathize with you.

Once when I was a kid, my grand parents had a farm with many goats and goaties.
There was a really pig headed goat that I loved to go frolicking with. He loved to eat leaves from the lime tree in my grandparent's courtyard; I would feed him a leaf only to yank it out of his mouth as soon as he grabbed it. He had become wise to my trickery and learned the way to get the leaf, was to bite my hand! He thought he had outsmarted me, but I was the more intelligent species.

I spent endless nights locked in my room scheming and plotting my revenge. I was mentally exhausted; I thought a night of sleep would ease my mind. During the night, it came to me in a dream that I would use a sleight of hand to fool Mr Goat! I would take a bunch of leaves and shove them in Mr Goat's mouth and then I would pull on his beard. He was never able to see my hands. I was satisfied with my revenge, but Mr Goat was not very amused.

Mr Goat became very mad and he would try to kick me and bite me, but worst of all, he would try to ram me with his horns! The devil even tried to poop on me! Our back and forth charades went on for many afternoons until Mr Goat had become fattened by my endless feeding! At the end of my stay at my grandparent's village, I ATE Mr Goat :meanie:

Mr. Owle, they say that goat bacon is the tastiest bacon.