Dog during intern year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

My1021

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I adopted a puppy Westie during the beginning of my 4th year. He is now a little over a year old and is house trained. Since it was my 4th year, I always had the time to walk him and take him to the backyard so he can poop and pee. I had never left him alone inside the house for more than 12 hours and he has learned not to poop in the house while I was gone. However, since I'll most likely be working pretty long shifts as an intern I'll have to leave him inside the house for longer periods of time and I'm not sure if he is able to hold his pee/poop for that long.

I'm hoping to rent a house with a backyard during residency and if thats the case I can just install a dog door that leads to the backyard. My parents have offered to take care of him during my busy rotations so that helps too.

People with dogs during medical school, what did you do with the dog when you started internship? Was it difficult?

Thanks!

Michael

Members don't see this ad.

Best purchase we ever made was a "dog window"--it fits perfectly into an average sash window
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-Pet-...-to-38-in-Wide-Sash-Window-33SWDXL/203626698/
Expensive but super easy installation and removable to take with you. I have big dogs but the smaller pet windows are a little cheaper. You do need a low sash window though. We don't have any other place to put a doggie door so this solved our problem perfectly.
Short of that, you could crate train but I hate to have a pup crated all day long--would be better for him to stay with your parents when necessary.

I have 3 dogs and have them since before med school. My now ex husband had them during the first 2 years of residency since I was in Grenada and I have had them since. A doggie door is the best investment I have ever made. Just make sure he won't bark at night when there alone. Potty pads work great if he will be inside for long periods of time. I recommend the XL ones from petsmart. When I bought my house intern year, a nice backyard was one priority. I had to have a fence put in but also installed a doggie door. You can make time even during residency for your animals. Get established with a vet before starting that way if he gets sick you know where to go and what their hours are. Also have a plans if you need to go out of town suddenly (boarding facility or someone to puppy sit). I advise having a pet emergency fund too for those unexpected vet bills since you don't make that much during residency.

Also, I am very grateful for our wonderful pet sitters who know my house and my dogs and have been willing to step in on short notice when I need them to.