Dog? Good Idea or Bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prentice25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, silly question...

How feasible is it to have a pet in pod school? I'll be starting in August and presumably living on my own, do any of you students have dogs or other pets? I'm pretty sure the first couple of years would be pretty manageable, but would be worried once externships and clinicals and everything started. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I've got 2 dogs and 2 cats and am very grateful that they've been here with me. No logistical issues so far. Luckily, I have a wife who will take care of them for the months I'm gone during clerkships next year. However, there are single people in my class with pets (dogs and cats) so they'll probably have to work something out with friends or family when the time comes 4th year. Certainly not impossible.

It will limit the places you can live. My wife wanted a dog, but everywhere we looked in Des Moines that allowed dogs wanted both a deposit and a monthly fee. You'll have to consider the animal's best interests (yard, walking, weather). You'll have the summer of your first year off so if you spend it at home you'll need your family's blessing. You'll have the possibility of medical bills and care on top of food.

All that aside - some people can make anything work if they want it. I would never have a child during school, but some people are becoming parents and I suppose doing fine. A dog is probably cake compared to that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Single - No go

Girlfriend/boyfriend - No go

Wife/husband - feasible

Reactions: 1 user
It certainly would be easier with a spouse, but I'm single and making it work just fine. I have a dog walker come in one day a week and run home during lunch one day to let them out. I have 2 very small dogs, which cannot go more than about 5 hours without a potty break. 3rd year - well, that will require more days with the dog walker, or I might pick up a first or second year roommate and 4th year...that will be most challenging, but certainly doable.

Dogs sleep 16 hours a day, but need exercise, attention and if single, a backup plan and a backup to the backup should a vet visit be required, on an exam day. It is definitely possible and I would not change a thing - especially being single - for it is great to come home to a bundle of joy and a living thing that communicates with you and will curl up next to you while you study.:love: Mine are a bit older now, so it's perfect. I would not recommend getting a puppy at this point, unless you have support. They simply require too much of everything. I would seriously consider adopting an an adult dog that is house trained and already used to either being crated, or home for an extended period of time. It will make your life so much easier.

I take dog ownership very seriously, as I committed to these guys 8 years ago when I used to work from home, and will not let my current situation affect their quality of life. Just make certain you can provide for a dog in all ways (financially, emotionally and physically) before making the decision.

Best of luck!

I was going to get a pet dog at first but then I decided that a pet rock was a better choice for me.

My cousin who is at DO school at MSU. She bought a puppy about a year ago and her boyfriend is at PA school and has had a dog for about 2yrs now. They don't see that much of a problem. Sometimes I walk my cousins dog since I am at undegrad at MSU.

My uncle thought it was insane of her to do this since at the time when she bought the dog she had not yet got accepted to med school but was applying. For the first semester it wasn't an issue with either her or her boyfriend having a dog. But again, then you have to find an apartment that will allow dogs. Two apartment complexes turned her down since they had a "no dogs" contract.

I know I won't be buying a dog until I am much older and out of med school, so a while!

Bad idea. I'm almost through with all this insanity, so trust me.

Consider a turtle.

The first 3 years would be manageable.

But wait until you start going on clerkships 4th year and trying to find living situations for a month at a time that will allow pets.

Then residency? You will never be home. Who will take care of it?

It's just a bad idea if you dont have someone at home to take care of it.

I'm currently a second year and live off campus in an apartment complex. I brought my dog with me and it's definitely bitter sweet. It was tougher last year when I didn't have a roommate. I constantly had to make sure I took breaks to come home and feed her and play with her. Now that I have a roommate we both share the responsibility of both of our dogs, so it makes some days much more manageable. A dog is great though on those bad days where you just need that little piece of home that loves you unconditionally. There's also someone in my class that has been fostering dogs until they get placed in permanent homes. She loves it! It's definitely a person by person decision.

Bumping this...I have a dog that will be 8 by the time I get to pod school and is medium energy. He is 75 pounds and a giant cuddle bug...I plan on watching any lectures I can from home (would do that anyway without a dog probably). He is not really an active dog so much as he just likes to spend time around you and lay his head on your lap while you study.

Is this feasible? How much time do you have outside of class? I know in-class hours change from school to school, but I figured I would ask here anyway. My mom sees him as her grand-dog and will happily watch him during clerkships/finals week/etc. I also plan on getting a dog-loving roommate.

Bumping this...I have a dog that will be 8 by the time I get to pod school and is medium energy. He is 75 pounds and a giant cuddle bug...I plan on watching any lectures I can from home (would do that anyway without a dog probably). He is not really an active dog so much as he just likes to spend time around you and lay his head on your lap while you study.

Is this feasible? How much time do you have outside of class? I know in-class hours change from school to school, but I figured I would ask here anyway. My mom sees him as her grand-dog and will happily watch him during clerkships/finals week/etc. I also plan on getting a dog-loving roommate.
You're fine. If he makes you happier during pod school and gets active/healthy then well worth it.

Wife wanted a dog even though we have 2 other pets. She works 8-5 and I'm in class most of the day. Still have time to come home take him for walks during lunch and at night. If you care about it enough, you'll make time for it.

Double check with your apartment for pet fees/policies.

If its not an active dog and just chills in a corner for most of the day then you're fine.
Puppies are another story.

Reactions: 1 users
It's not hard to take care of a pet during pod school. If you're still single by the time 4th year comes around then you'll be limited to where you can go because of the pet. That's the only issue. Pet's are awesome

It's not hard to take care of a pet during pod school. If you're still single by the time 4th year comes around then you'll be limited to where you can go because of the pet. That's the only issue. Pet's are awesome

They are. Looking forward to bringing him (and my two rabbits) on my next adventure. They've been with me through college for the past 2 years. I've only had a little bit of my homework chewed so far.