Dog Shooting in Orlando

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlistexWorks

Sophomore Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know how big this story really is because I live in the Orlando area. It has been all over the news. Craziness.

It hurts me even more because I live with a Siberian...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtYKvnSGqJU

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. What in the hell? I haven't heard anything about it. Have you found any articles on it?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is really horrible situation... It said in the article that both dogs survived, which is really the only bright aspect to it. I feel so awful for those poor huskies and the owner! I can't even begin to imagine what I might do if it was my dog in the situation.

I saw this on the news yesterday. These are someones pet dogs(huskies) not wolves or some wild animal or anything. The guy shooting them is not the land owner or the cattle owner, just a neigbor or something. The one dog it ok and back home, but the other dog is still at the vet and they said he will probably lose an eye and I think they said a leg, but not sure on that. It really is pathetic. Oh, also I forgot they did say this guy has had several problems like this in the past with gun problems and shooting things that he is not supposed to be shooting.

Many of the farmers I have known and grew up around would definitely shoot a dog to protect their livestock. I know I have family members who would.

Anyways, I think the situation could have been handled better. Once the owner ran up and the dogs started running away, he should have stopped shooting. Actually, maybe he should have tried to scare the dogs off and/or call them to him and leash them and take them to animal control, first.

Hopefully, this dog owner won't let his dogs roam around off leash again. Not a good idea with livestock around.

This is absolutely horrible. Piggy backing on Gordo- they are HUSKIES and someone's pet. Interesting how there is a YouTube video of it. Welcome to America, tourists.

Huskies aren't necessarily concerned with what you want to "let" them do. They're notorious escape artists, and of course they're hardwired to run. The owner said they'd gotten out only an hour before the shooting.

This is the husky owner's worst nightmare. We tend to trade tips on keeping them contained---the six-foot-fence-above-a-concrete-moat trick is my personal favorite---and those of us who work in husky rescue are a little crazy-paranoid about checking out potential adopters' yards for husky-exploitable escape routes. I've even been to rescue-organized "fence parties" to put up or patch up a backyard husky containment system that's been breached.

But still, things happen. My lovely in-laws let themselves into my house last Christmas and left the door hanging open. The resident huskies saw their chance. Do my dogs then deserve to be shot?

I am aware that there is the legal right to protect land and livestock. Still. Just because someone has the *right* to abandon thoughtfulness and compassion doesn't make it the best way to proceed. Especially when your alternative option is to go shooting a gun that you don't actually know how to use (three and four bullets each at that range and they lived??).

The owner says the dogs had a zillion collar tags on, plus microchips. Those things are all there for a reason. God knows those options will be neither as expedient nor as satisfying as firing off a shotgun, but moderation offers its own rewards.

Huskies aren't necessarily concerned with what you want to "let" them do. They're notorious escape artists, and of course they're hardwired to run. The owner said they'd gotten out only an hour before the shooting.

I understand that. I've worked with people who have huskies and known a lot of them. One of our neighbors had one who escaped constantly, but he was far more likely to come try to sleep on your porch than bother your cows, so nobody really cared much.

I don't feel the dogs deserve to be shot, and never said anything to indicate that. Just that, in many rural areas, they would be if they were bothering livestock. These cows are a farmer's livelihood and, in many cases, the cows owner may care as much about them as you do about your dogs. This is certainly the case for my step-father, who has threatened to shoot a dog before that was constantly escaping the yard (it didn't much care what the owner thought, either) and *killing* our animals. (He didn't have to shoot the dog, and used the threat as a last resort after trying to chase/scare the dog away, calling the owners, talking to the owners, and calling animal control. Only the threat of shooting their dog got these owners to finally keep him from killing our animals.)

There are definitely compassionate alternatives to simply shooting a dog first and asking questions later. I think everyone can agree on that. I think, had the guy tried to call the dogs, they'd probably have come up to him like big, dumb, goofy huskies and gotten all excited and he could have leashed them and taken them to his local animal control facility. But this guy, by all accounts, doesn't sound like the brightest of people. According to news reports, he was convinced the dogs were wolves. Big, dumb, goofy, collar wearing wolves.

He didn't have to shoot the dog, and used the threat as a last resort after trying to chase/scare the dog away, calling the owners, talking to the owners, and calling animal control. Only the threat of shooting their dog got these owners to finally keep him from killing our animals.

That's what I'm saying, though. Even with a dog who was, as you say, "constantly" getting loose, and actually killing farm animals, your stepfather did go through options A, B, C, and D first. If E was shooting, it'd be awfully hard to blame him.

Whereas this dolt in FL had a couple dogs gallumphing around his buddy's field going "OMG, cows!!" one time, for under one hour, and went straight for the gun.

Not buying for a second he thought they were wolves. The collars, the goofy, the location. Unless things've changed in FL since I lived there.

omgoodness. are the dogs all right? did the guy go to jail/ get a fine? what happened? :( If I wasn't against violence I'd kill him in 5 seconds. This angers me to no ends. If those were my dogs I'd go crazy and sue him so fast he'd want to kill himself.

According to the last news report I saw, both dogs survived and are doing alright, except one lost an eye. I think police said that there were no charges to be pressed because the guy was protecting his neighbor's livestock at his neighbor's request. The article I read said that it is legal in florida to shoot a dog that is endangering livestock.

This story reminded me about a case in Ohio not too long ago, except it involved the shooting of a police dog. The owner also tried to say that he was protecting his family and that he didn't know it was a police dog (but the dog was pretty well known in the neighborhood and community).

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061122/NEWS03/611220371

http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061222/NEWS17/612220406

I can't find an article that talks about it, but it ended up that the shooter got a fine for a few hundred dollars, and the police officer got a similar fine for having his dog running loose. Ridiculous in my opinion, as the dog wasn't being aggressive and there was no real threat.

This story reminded me about a case in Ohio not too long ago, except it involved the shooting of a police dog. The owner also tried to say that he was protecting his family and that he didn't know it was a police dog (but the dog was pretty well known in the neighborhood and community).

I can't find an article that talks about it, but it ended up that the shooter got a fine for a few hundred dollars, and the police officer got a similar fine for having his dog running loose. Ridiculous in my opinion, as the dog wasn't being aggressive and there was no real threat.

Poor Flip :(

I think that is just horrible. If the guy could go inside to get a gun why couldn't he just stay inside and call animal control?

I also find it a very foreign concept to shoot something. Guns are not at all common here in Australia.

They're both idiots. The owner should have kept track of his dog. The shooter should have just stayed inside with his son and called police or animal control. Unfortunately, the dog was the one to pay for the owner's irresponsibility and the shooter's stupidity/lack of compassion/panicked aggression.