Doing a CSV in young kids?

Started by shahseh22
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shahseh22

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I have to do a CSV in kids <age 10 as part of my fellowship. Are there specific things I should be doing to establish rapport and ask about symptoms? Like drawing a "tree house and person?"

I usually try to build rapport over going over specific interests the kids have (tv shows, pets, games, etc). I'm just wondering for the purposes of a CSV how much should I do? thanks
 
You should be getting feedback from your attending for some time before attempting a CSV. If you have been informed that your patient interviews have been satisfactory, keep doing that. Otherwise, seek more feedback. I advise keeping the CSV patient interview concise and getting it over with.
 
You should be getting feedback from your attending for some time before attempting a CSV. If you have been informed that your patient interviews have been satisfactory, keep doing that. Otherwise, seek more feedback. I advise keeping the CSV patient interview concise and getting it over with.

LOL the feedback I've been getting from the attendings has been laughable. I don't want to go into the specifics of my program but direct supervision is not always feasible as we have too many trainees and limited attendings.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,
I have to do a CSV in kids <age 10 as part of my fellowship. Are there specific things I should be doing to establish rapport and ask about symptoms? Like drawing a "tree house and person?"

I usually try to build rapport over going over specific interests the kids have (tv shows, pets, games, etc). I'm just wondering for the purposes of a CSV how much should I do? thanks

I would approach it like any intake with a child that age in the context of the time you are allowed. If you have 30-45 minutes then it will need to be a very brief interaction with the patient and probing for specific interests like you listed is perfectly reasonable. You can likely engage the patient in a specific task while you interview the guardian like drawing a picture of their family or something similar to get extra "points" towards your MSE of the patient.
 
I would approach it like any intake with a child that age in the context of the time you are allowed. If you have 30-45 minutes then it will need to be a very brief interaction with the patient and probing for specific interests like you listed is perfectly reasonable. You can likely engage the patient in a specific task while you interview the guardian like drawing a picture of their family or something similar to get extra "points" towards your MSE of the patient.

Thank you!