Doing a few projects over a few months vs longer time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorrr-t

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to covid, this summer is going a bit different than I anticipated. I’m currently doing 3 volunteering projects/internships that will end before I begin school. I’m a bit worried that unlike other extracurriculars, all of them are only about 1-3 months long. Although I’m enjoying my time very much, I don’t know how good it will look on the resume when adcoms see that I haven’t spent too much time on it. I’d love to hear what you all think about this and any advice on extracurriculars that aren’t so long, etc

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot of pre-meds are going to be in the same boat given the COVID-19 situation, so from that perspective, I think you should be fine.

Rather than focusing on the hours (and # of months), which I understand can quantify your impact, you should focus more to explain how these extracurriculars help you grow as a person and why they made you want to pursue medicine.

Also, are you a non-trad? If you are a non-trad, you should have more than enough experiences for the 15 AMCAS slots so you don't have to discuss COVID-19 short-term initiatives.