Doing a second residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gherelin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone finished one then started another in a different field? If so, can you continue to defer med student loans? Will the hospital be reimbursed by medicare if you are doing a second residency? I know there have been many previous threads on this topic but I wasn't able to find them through the search button. If anyone can point me to them it would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

it has been done, but this is exceedingly difficult. medicare won't reimburse for a 2nd residency, so most programs would be hesitant to take you, but some might.

Ask yourself why the heck would you want to do this?? If you don't like your current program, transfer out. Doing a 2nd residency is pointless, as you won't end up practicing 2 specialties.

Last year I was in the match for anesthesiology. I applied as a second-year internal medicine resident. I let all the programs know that I was planning on finishing my residency. I applied to around 40 programs. 3-4 of them emailed me letting me know that because of the medicare issue they couldn't offer me an interview. Around 15-20 places offered me interviews and I didn't hear from the rest. I ended up matching and will be starting in a few months. So as far as I know its all good.

And I'm not sure about the loans issue. I have to figure that out pretty soon.

Thanks for both of your responses. I had thought I'd heard of a lot of people doing second residencies and wondered how it was worked out. Good luck with yours. I am graduating from residency this year and just haven't been feeling enthusiastic about starting. I don't want to start my career feeling burned out already and started thinking about another field that I'd loved earlier on but forsook for various reasons. I talked to an attending in that other field and she said she still loves her work, would do it again in a minute, and that being ready to graduate from residency wasn't a good reason to stay in a field if you didn't love it. It seemed to make sense to me. There has been a lot of discussion of this in the past on this board---Anybody know where those other related threads might be hiding?

gherelin said:
Thanks for both of your responses. I had thought I'd heard of a lot of people doing second residencies and wondered how it was worked out. Good luck with yours. I am graduating from residency this year and just haven't been feeling enthusiastic about starting. I don't want to start my career feeling burned out already and started thinking about another field that I'd loved earlier on but forsook for various reasons. I talked to an attending in that other field and she said she still loves her work, would do it again in a minute, and that being ready to graduate from residency wasn't a good reason to stay in a field if you didn't love it. It seemed to make sense to me. There has been a lot of discussion of this in the past on this board---Anybody know where those other related threads might be hiding?

Hi gherelin,

I feel your pain. I have been in fp for almost four years. I knew that I had made a mistake prior to the completion of my residency training. I will be starting a gas residency 7/1/05.

Retraining is not a big deal in most cases. Funding is not an issue if a program is interested in you.

For now, look for a job. Find a job that has no strings attached. Hospitalist jobs are great for people in transition. If you work for a group find one that will pay your tail coverage.

Right now keep your mouth shut and smile as you complete your last few monts of residency. I mean that you should not let on to your program that you are unhappy. It is always better to come off as a hard worker who wanted to try something else. Strong letters from your residency program will help you a lot.

What specialty do you want to go into?

Please feel free to send me a pm. I am always happy to hear from folk trying to escape from primary care.

CambieMD

Cambie:
Thanks for the advice. Good luck with your next residency.
I will try to keep upbeat. I'd like to PM you but not sure how-don't see a button for it on my screen...? Anyone with experience in a 2nd residency? How was it to go back to scut etc?
CambieMD said:
Hi gherelin,

I feel your pain. I have been in fp for almost four years. I knew that I had made a mistake prior to the completion of my residency training. I will be starting a gas residency 7/1/05.

Retraining is not a big deal in most cases. Funding is not an issue if a program is interested in you.

For now, look for a job. Find a job that has no strings attached. Hospitalist jobs are great for people in transition. If you work for a group find one that will pay your tail coverage.

Right now keep your mouth shut and smile as you complete your last few monts of residency. I mean that you should not let on to your program that you are unhappy. It is always better to come off as a hard worker who wanted to try something else. Strong letters from your residency program will help you a lot.

What specialty do you want to go into?

Please feel free to send me a pm. I am always happy to hear from folk trying to escape from primary care.

CambieMD